• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which peppers should I plant/grow?

I'm really new to this, I just picked 3 juicy jalapenos from my first pepper plant and now I'm hooked, I really want to plant a variety of peppers so that I can make my own crushed pepper, salsa, and hot sauce. To make those what type should I plant? I also know my way around the kitchen so I would want some other peppers to cook food with. Could anyone help me out here? Thanks!

Also, Mods, if I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize feel free to move this post to the correct section if needed.

sicman said:
Welcome. Grow what taste good to you.But I would think a nice Thai,some ghost,chocolate habs,brains and the newest hottest trendy thing every year and you will be covered.

But I have no way of tasting peppers because no one sells any here. So I need some tips on what's good.

Keep looking in the market place. people are offering up boxes of peppers for sale all the time. I expect there will be quite a lot soon since so many are posting pictures of pods already ripening.

I think personal preference is something to take into consideration.  Many of the chili heads here like it HOT :fireball: .  They have been seduced by the flame and never looked back.  Without having tried many hot peppers everything would seem kind of foreign.  I do enjoy some heat, but my garden is pretty tame compared to many folks here.  In order of heat from lowest to hottest, (more experienced folks please correct me) here is what I am growing for the kitchen:  
Sweet bell
Anaheim
Jalapeno
Serrano
Cayenne
Thai (bird's eye?)   
Someone on some forum gave a pretty neat break down of different types of pepper, different types of heat, types of capsaicin, and flavors.  Like Habs  come in with a sweet or citrus flavor, then a slow burn builds up and lingers.  Thai peppers come in for the instant kick in the mouth, etc.  I will see if I can dig that up.  Might have been on /r/hotpeppers.    
With that being said, have you looked into finding a farmers market near you?  You can sometimes find out of the ordinary at those.   

Edit:I am become grammmar :banghead:

What Hawiianero said.Find out what you like before committing to a season of growing and then not liking the results. You can save seeds from the ones you like..

What I did is grow a wide variety to see what grows well for me and what tastes good. 

So far out of my grow my favorites are the Aji Limon, Aji Pineapple, 7 Pot Red, Scotch Bonnet, Devil's Tongue, and Trinidad Scorpion.  I have a lot that I haven't ripened yet though.

My recommendation is to be patient. soon many of the members here that offer small to large flat rate boxes of some very nice selections and dozens of varieties will be offering them for sale. I would suggest a couple of purchases of those. You get a nice selection of peppers to taste test and the seed for next year if you like them.

Welcome! This is my first year growing, what I decided to do was what scuba_steve said. I'm growing about 15-20 different varieties to see which ones I like and then will plant more of that type next year while adding in some new ones to try! Beware though, it's super addicting!

Chocolate habs
Aji pineapple
Fresno
Serrano
Goatsweed
And Bhut Orange Copenhagen for your first superhot.

All very forgiving, easy to grow, and great tasting IMO.

BlackFatalii said:
This. I highly recommend Wicked Mike for fresh pods.
You also might want to check out Nigel Carter on YouTube. Very informative pod reviews without a lot of drama.
Understand 1 thing about Nigel Carter though while you are watching his reviews. His capsaicin tolerance is beyond anyone I know and the pods that he is making look absolutely delicious are F***ing deadly to most others. A song comes to mind when I watch Nigel doing his stuff.

YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS.

are you looking to grow mild, medium, hot, or super hot? judy at pepperlover.com has categorized a huge selection with great descriptions. Her seeds grow true a majority of the time.

I decided to do what Scuba_Steve and Snottyfox did. I went on ebay and bought about 15 different varieties of mild, hot, and super hot pepper seeds. Going to be growing them out soon. I might even find a farmers market here and see if anyone sells and peppers, if someone does I'll buy some and try them. Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate you guys/gals helping out a nooby like me.

Brazillian starfish. They are around the same heat as jalapeno, sometimes slightly warmer.. but the flavor is unmatched in my opinion. Bonus: they are one of the coolest looking pods out there

backyardpepper said:
I decided to do what Scuba_Steve and Snottyfox did. I went on ebay and bought about 15 different varieties of mild, hot, and super hot pepper seeds. Going to be growing them out soon. I might even find a farmers market here and see if anyone sells and peppers, if someone does I'll buy some and try them. Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate you guys/gals helping out a nooby like me.

Uuugh! Not Ebay, no no no. My guess, of those 15 varieties maybe a few will grow true. Expect the rest to be surprises. Spend some time in our vendor vault to find reliable seed sellers. Ebay is NOT one of them.

hogleg said:
Uuugh! Not Ebay, no no no. My guess, of those 15 varieties maybe a few will grow true. Expect the rest to be surprises. Spend some time in our vendor vault to find reliable seed sellers. Ebay is NOT one of them.
Really? Well there goes all my money... I'll look at the vendor vault thanks for the tip.

backyardpepper said:
Really? Well there goes all my money... I'll look at the vendor vault thanks for the tip.

I could be wrong, there is a tiny handful of honest seed sellers on there. But most are weasels that send grocery store bell pepper seeds.

What did you order? Maybe I can help you out with some open pollinated seeds.   :P

I'd second what CAPCOM said.  Before you buy a bunch of seeds that you don't know that you'll like, spend this summer buying a variety of fresh peppers from people on this site.  If you like a pepper, keep the seeds.  If you don't...well don't keep them. 

That way you know you are growing what you like.

I do that each year for varieties  I think I wanna grow, but never tried.  Nothing suckier than growing a variety from seed, tending it for 6 - 8 months only to find out you don't like it.

Also, If you like juicy jalapenos, you might look at Manzano and Rocoto varieties.  Their flesh is as thick as a jalapeno, usually very juicy, but a bit hotter.  

Back