• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Blue Ribbon Fatalii peppers :D

I know I haven't been on much recently, been working on my move and have kind of put the peppers on the back burner.  It's kind of depressing knowing I'm leaving behind most of my plants but I got a pretty good boost after winning first place in the local agricultural fair for my Fatalii specimens this weekend.  The criteria was 12 mature specimens, there were about 10 other registrants for the category and mine came out with a blue ribbon :D

20150731_163754_zpskaejwygs.jpg

The plant itself is about 19 months old and currently resides in a 20 inch pot, it's put off around 100 pods so far this season.  I may try to ship it to myself in a week but I may give my folks instructions on how to keep it as a houseplant.

20150801_195429_zps7bxasjan.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Nice! Is that a mortalii?
actually no, the mortalii plant has not even flowered this year, which I find to be super strange.  I know some folks are growing seeds from it and have had similar pods on the offspring plants though.  The mortaliis look like morugas

*edit: the blue ribbon plant came from the same seed stock as the mortalii mother though

Congratulations on the Blue Ribbon, I myself just left all my plants behind as well. It's just one of those thing we all have to make that sacrifice...

Helvete said:
actually no, the mortalii plant has not even flowered this year, which I find to be super strange.  I know some folks are growing seeds from it and have had similar pods on the offspring plants though.  The mortaliis look like morugas

Weird. My mortalii is the single most productive plant I have ever grown for its size. That thing has so many pods on it that they actually don't have any wiggle room - they're completely packed in there! 
     Mine don't look like morugas, though. Just really wrinkly, bent-up fataliis. A few have tails, though. I'll post some pics of them in here tomorrow. 
     They are some awesome pods! Sweeter and fruitier than a regular fatalii with better flavor. Still pretty citrusy, but kind of a cross between a fatalii and a good Scotch bonnte. One of my favorites this season. Definitely a keeper!
     Thanks for the seeds, broj.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Weird. My mortalii is the single most productive plant I have ever grown for its size. That thing has so many pods on it that they actually don't have any wiggle room - they're completely packed in there! 
     Mine don't look like morugas, though. Just really wrinkly, bent-up fataliis. A few have tails, though. I'll post some pics of them in here tomorrow. 
     They are some awesome pods! Sweeter and fruitier than a regular fatalii with better flavor. Still pretty citrusy, but kind of a cross between a fatalii and a good Scotch bonnte. One of my favorites this season. Definitely a keeper!
     Thanks for the seeds, broj.

I know some other people have said the same about the mortalii plants being a different flavor and being extremely prolific.  What's weird about the mortalii mother is that every plant around her, all overwinters, are doing extremely well so I can't say that it's a soil problem or anything.  They definitely grow fast and big and are really easy to overwinter.

pepperrookie said:
Fatalii is my favorite pepper. Congrats on the blue ribbon. Nice garden Gnome! Seeds!
I'm gonna try to make some seeds available soon for these, gotta dry out a bunch.  I know several members have Fataliis growing from me, they're pretty kickass.

Scorched said:
Congrats man! Great looking pods. I really wanted to take some pods to our state fair this year but because everything is behind this year nothing was ripe. Always next year. I've never entered anything and it sounds like fun
I wanted to enter last year but my plants weren't ripening fast enough so overwintering did the trick for this year.  I was gonna enter some bhuts but I thought that the yellow would make for a better show.  I did get a blue ribbon for an Angel Wing Begonia last year though in the houseplants category.

I dont who that one hurt the most, You or the plant!
That was one nice healthy looking plant, oh and grats on the ribbon!
Fatalli is my favorite pepper.

The....the...the root system took up the entire pot!  I hope it makes it but I decided after checking TSA guidelines that it's coming on the plane with me in my carry-on.  Currently back where it all began, in a solo cup lol.  This is nothing more than an experiment at this point but I'm gonna take shots after I get up there.  I think it will be fine, I just have to get it in a big pot or 5 gallon bucket ASAP when I get up there and don't let it dry up.  If it's looking ok by the time I leave in 3 days I have confidence that everything will be fine.  I'm also mailing myself a Bhut and a Yucatan White Habanero plant.  Those will be in a MFRB so they've got a little rougher of a journey than this one.  Fingers crossed for all of them!

20150812_184923_zps2nsqjl0g.jpg

Congratulations!

Is that color showing true in the pics?  The pods look decidedly orange.  Basic fatalii is bright yellow on the plant.

DMF said:
Congratulations!

Is that color showing true in the pics?  The pods look decidedly orange.  Basic fatalii is bright yellow on the plant.
The pic on the plate is a bit darker, but as you can see in the photo with the plant they are yellow.  Fataliis do get a darker yellow, like industrial caution yellow around the calyx.  They are not orange.

Back