• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Shapeshifting Organic Garden - Trippas 2015-2016

Ok I have taken a long time to get back to growing after a few life upheavals over the past 6 months ,which have culminated in an overseas relocation, change of job and massive change in climate and garden scope.
So I am back to my country of birth and where my roots still grow strongly in the land of the long white cloud... New Zealand.
Everything about it has been positive and I hope my garden adventures can be equally so.
The sad part was I had to give up a good portion of my seed collection which numbered about 150-170 unique types and had to restock once I arrived back here.
So I now only have 78 unique varieties and I have lost one or 2 of my prized varieties... One of which was a big blocky pod which ripened like a toucans beak colour wise and was insanely hot and gnarly blistered in appearance (like this)
IMG_2954.JPG
... And the other the Pimenta De Neyde.
However I still have a good selection all things considered and look forward to growing out some old favourites and new varieties alike.
I am very excited about being in a climate which lends itself more towards C.Pubescens varietals and as such have added multiple types to this season's grow list.
So I have Chamomile tea soaked (for damping off protection and seed case softening) and planted 2 rounds of seeds in the past week in my DIY propagation chamber (which was put together from a combination of others ideas to suit my situation).
The propagation chamber consists of an variable thermostat aquarium heater set at 30 degrees C in 20 or so litres of water inside a 50 litre plastic container with lid. In the water I have placed about 20 ceramic tiles, 10 either side of the aquarium heater to act as an additional heat sink to hold the temperature steady during the cold nights (as it is midwinter here right now and frosts are a common occurrence).
I then floated a smaller plastic container on the water which holds approximately 50 Jiffy pellets. The temperature at the surface of the water(bottom of the jiffy container) holds at approximately 29C and the surface of the wet jiffy pellets holds at approximately 26C which I think will be perfect.

The first round of seeds was put into the Jiffy pellets on the 27th of July after a 24hr chamomile tea soak.

1st Round Chinense varieties: Source in brackets

Cili Goronong (Trippa) *Popped 3rd/8
7pot/pod Yellow (Pepperlover)* popped 8th/8
7 pot bubblegum (Pepperlover)* popped 6th/8
7 pot brainstrain Yellow (Pepperlover)
Jays peach ghost scorpion f4 (Wildfire chillies)* popped 8th/8
Chocolate Habenero (Trippa)* popped 18th/8
TSMB (Trippa)
Brown Moruga (pepperlover)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion (gnslngr)* popped 3rd/8
7 pod White (pepperlover)* popped 3rd/8
White fatalii (pepperlover)* popped 3rd/8
Star of Turkey (pepperlover)* popped 1st/8
Bhut jolokia "Assam Raja JR strain chocolate" (Junglerain)
Peach bhut jolokia (pepperlover)* popped 10th/8
Bhut jolokia "Assam" (Trippa)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (PaulG)* popped 8th/8
Chocolate Scotch bonnet (GAgrowhead via Paul G)*Popped 4th/8
Scotch Bonnet "MOA" (pepperlover)* popped 10th/8
Tobago scotch bonnet red (pepperlover)* popped 13th/8
Bahamian goat pepper (Trippa pure isolated seed)* popped 7th/8
7pot Primo (pepperlover)* popped 3rd/8
JA hab (Walkgood via kingdenniz)

C. Pubescens 1st Round varieties:

Cabe Gendot (Junglerain)
Ecuadorian sweet (pepperlover) popped 5th/8
Costa Rican Red (Pepperlover)* popped 2nd/8
Aji Oro (Pepperlover)
Red Rocoto 'Peruvian Market' (PaulG)* popped 7th/8

The Second round of seeds were soaked for 24hrs in chamomile tea and planted into jiffy pellets on the 29th of July.
(All of them were Chinense varieties)

2nd round:

Naga Morich (Trippa)
Douglah "Alphanerdz"(Trippa)* popped 7th/8
Bih Jolokia (pepperlover)* popped 6th/8
Chocolate bhut jolokia (Trippa)* popped 6th/8
Bhut jolokia "Indian Carbon" (pepperlover)* popped 7th/8
Bhut jolokia Orange (Pepperlover)* popped
Yellow 7pot/pod (Trippa)
Carolina reaper HP22b (PeriPeri)
Primo x Yellow Bhut Jolokia f2 (junglerain)
Trippas Mystery Cross F3 (PaulG)*Popped 4th/8
Primo x Yellow bhut jolokia f3 (Trippa)* popped 6th/8
Fatalii (pepperlover)* popped 9th/8
Nebru (THSC)* popped 9th/8
?? Mixed pack (Junglerain)
?? Mixed superhots (Junglerain)

There will be a further few Chinense varieties and C. pubescens put down and also a full couple of rounds of C. Annuum and C. Baccatum at a later date.

As of this morning the 2nd of August I had 3 hooks.... 1 Costa Rican Red and 2 star of Turkey hooks which were poking through yesterday. Not a bad start considering I am not even a week in since planting yet.
My new place of residence is full of potential with some potential just needing a bit of TLC and DIY to get it back to top billing.
I have a large permanent glass house with power (built by my late Grandfather for his orchid business and general horticultural passion and talent) right at the back door step (it's roof needs replacing but other then that and some tidying it's looking ok).
I have started building a couple of good sized raised beds for additional space and have some good access to plenty of sheep manure.

Edit: updated with hook Dates

RedtailForester said:
Can't wait to see some good pics!
Cheers for stopping by Dan! Yeah photos are on my need to do more of list that's for certain. My computer didn't like the journey from overseas so it decided to not boot up ... I still haven't got around to fixing it which makes editing photos etc a little more trouble.. But I promise to get some photos up as soon as I can ...

One more hook this morning ... One of my favourites ... The Cili Goronong showed up ... I hope they start coming in a little quicker from now on ... Oh I know I am impatient :D

Issue with my photos ... Trying to post them reason for this post ... Stay tuned ...right sorted I hope....

I apologise for these low quality pictures ... I am only using my phone at the moment due to time constraints but its a little visual aid to my so far colourless and word heavy blog...

baby%252520germination%252520chamber.jpg
Inside my DIY Germination chamber ... the yellow light is the flouro above shining through the yellow lid

germination%252520chamber%252520again.jpg
Another shot ... you can see the thermometer probe running into the germination chamber from the outside and the floating container with the jiffy pellets ...

babys.jpg
The first 3 up and away...

baby%252520incubator.jpg
This is where my germinated babies end up for now ... its actually on top of the main germination chamber lid and the heat dissipates through the lid  from the warm water within thus keeping my babies warm and the humid inside the old steamer stacking trays with a lid on top under a small T5 flouro.  It might not seem that warm (16.4) but keep in mind the temperature outside currently is only approx. 7-8 Degrees C and I had just opened the lid to put more babies in from the germination chamber below

Jamison said:
Glad the move went ok and your back to your roots! Good luck on the grow and will stay tuned to your glog! You have some really nice varieties goin!
Cheers bro...thanks for stopping in!! The Luck is much appreciated!
I am lucky enough to have the space for lots of great varieties this season... Makes a change from my balcony growing the last 3-4 seasons

So I increased the heat on my aquarium heater in my germination tub 2 degrees C to 32C last night because I was losing heat for some reason (could be the rubbish windy wet weather) and the top of the jiffy pellets was only sitting at about 24-25C. Ideally I want that up to 26-27 full time.
Only reason for the increase was at day 9 I was expecting a little more action germination wise ... Only the 3 pops in the last 2 days ... Yesterday was only one the Ecuadorian Sweet ...

Well the temperature of the jiffy pellets is sitting between 27-29 C since the increase of temperature and the addition of some fabric pots around and on top of the container to add some insulation. It has started to bring on a fair few hooks in the last couple of days ... List updated above.

Before I forget a big thank you to PaulG for some great varieties this season. I owe you bro!! :cheers:

Wow! Big things happening for you Trippa! Glad it went well and sounds like you're in a good place to get your grow on! All that space and all! What did happen to all those strains you had here in Oz? I was under the impression getting seeds to NZ was much easier than getting them here? Sounds like you have a few of those you already had so some must have made it?

All the best with your grow man. You got loads happening by the looks! Nice start to a new location!

Cheers for stopping by Burnzy!! Yeah in a great place for growing in general but with a much smaller growing window so there are tradeoffs.
I gave all of my plants that I had growing to a friend and helped him plant them before I left.
All of the seeds I left behind were gifted to another friend, but I am unsure if they ended up receiving them or not.
Getting anything into NZ is tougher then Australia in my experience. I did have some seeds available to me here already luckily through various means.

Cheers for the luck ... Every grower needs a bit of that :D

Ok I had better update my growlist.  I have had a few setbacks with non-germination on a number of seed varieties (including some very freshly purchased seeds as well which I am a little confused/annoyed about).  Because of that I had a full round of re-sows on those varieties and have to date (14 days later) had little to no action on most of them ... 
I have also put down a further 4th and 5th round of seeds some of which are already popping after only 4-5days since putting into jiffy's.  These were soaked for 12-24hours with a combo of Chamomile tea and Magic Botanic Liquid (Basically Humates and Fulvic Acids)

3rd Round-
7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow (Pepperlover)
Choc Hab (Trippa) * Popped 28th/8
TSMB (Trippa) * Popped 30th/8
Brown Moruga (Pepperlover)
Bhut Jolokia "Assam" (Trippa)
Bhut Jolokia Assam JR Raja Choc (Junglerain)
JA Hab (Walkgood via KingDenniz) * Popped 27th/8
Cabe Gendot (Junglerain)
Aji Oro (Pepperlover)
Naga Morich (Trippa)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (Pepperlover)
Carolina Reaper (PeriPeri)

:shocked:   :eek:     :shocked:     :eek:     :shocked:     :eek:     :shocked:     :eek:      :shocked:

Egads, Tristen, that is one insane list!
I haven't heard of half of those!

Trippa said:
Before I forget a big thank you to PaulG for some great varieties this season. I owe you bro!! :cheers:
I haven't even begun to repay you for all the awesome seeds you have sent my way, my friend!

Good to see you up and running, brother!  Good luck going forward...

subbed

glad to see you have arrived at your new location. Looking frwd to some C. Pubescens pron later in the season  :D

Back into the fold :hell: ... back to the land of Kiwi's, Hangi's, and the Haka.
Look forward to watchin' them all grow, tonnes of luck to you this season!

Back