• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes Cracking on Top?

All my wife's Tomatoes starting doing this. Does anyone know why. We had a storm come through last week flooding her garden. Possibly too much water?

I have found it related to an abundance of water available for uptake to the fruit. The plant takes more water in than the fruit can accommodate and the skin is the first to succumb to failure. it usually occurs when the fruit has stopped increasing in size and is just waiting to ripen.

CAPCOM said:
I have found it related to an abundance of water available for uptake to the fruit. The plant takes more water in than the fruit can accommodate and the skin is the first to succumb to failure. it usually occurs when the fruit has stopped increasing in size and is just waiting to ripen.
Mine did that with 15 days of 90+ heat and no rain, I do agree it also happening with too much water. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
That was the plus side, tomatoes hated it but now starting to have a huge number of ripe pods!
Aaaaahhhhh chili head's are Pod people!!
sutherland_scream.jpg

SteelHeat said:
What kind are those? Having similar issues with Black Krim. Was told this is very common with this variety...
These were Phoenix (Heat Tolerant). But all my Husky Cherry Tomatoes are doing it too. Pretty sure it had something to do with that last heavy storm. We rarely get that type of rain this time of year, and at 95 degrees and 90% Humidity it is unlike any So Cal weather I'm use to. Hell if I wanted this I would move back to Texas. 

Wow
SL3 said:
These were Phoenix (Heat Tolerant). But all my Husky Cherry Tomatoes are doing it too. Pretty sure it had something to do with that last heavy storm. We rarely get that type of rain this time of year, and at 95 degrees and 90% Humidity it is unlike any So Cal weather I'm use to. Hell if I wanted this I would move back to Texas.
Wow those are high temps for So Cal used to live in ocean beach was always gorgeous!! Heat has been brutal here.

SL3 said:
:rofl: That's what I told the wife when she brought them to me. I told her wonderful they're finally hatching.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: What can I say SL3 Great minds think alike!!! :) LOL

Tomatoes split because of fluctuations in the amount of water they get. If it's been very dry, and then all of a sudden you get a couple of inches of rain, the insides of the tomatoes grow faster than the outer skin is able to, and the tomatoes crack.  While this can sometimes be a problem when the tomatoes are still green, it happens more often to tomatoes that are starting to ripen, mainly because the outer skin becomes more fragile the closer a tomato gets to ripening.

Many tomatoes have 'thicker' skin where the extra water doesn't cause the cracking. 

This cracking can occur in dry spells also, as sometimes we water more when it's dry.  Mulching helps much of the time, but not always.

I have some of my tomatoes doing that while others in the same raised bed are not and they get the same water. It could be the type of tomato.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.

SteelHeat said:
What kind are those? Having similar issues with Black Krim. Was told this is very common with this variety...
I've noticed with black krim it also can crack with uneven watering.

Plus like many stated it happens sometimes with too much water. Has done it with all mine with the INSANE weather here in Florida.

OSUPepperGuy said:
I've noticed with black krim it also can crack with uneven watering.
Plus like many stated it happens sometimes with too much water. Has done it with all mine with the INSANE weather here in Florida.
Same up here in Wisconsin. Not an extreme amount of heat, but loads of rain at times.

Back