• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Made my first hot sauce tonight

A friend brought me some hot peppers and I thought I would try to make some hot sauce.
This is the first time I made it.

The peppers was mixed Jalapeno, Cayenne, Serrano, banana, and habanero

here is ingredients  used

20 mixed peppers
1 medium onion
6 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar

I chopped up the peppers, onion, garlic
Put them in a pan with the olive oil and salt.
I sautéed them for 5 minutes then added the water and simmered for 20 minutes.

Then I let the mixture cool down to room temperature.

Once cooled down I put it in a blender and blended till smooth then slowly added the apple cider vinegar and blended well.

It had a nice medium heat...

was surprise it turned out so well on the first try.

Next time I am adding hotter peppers to raise the heat.

IMG_0623_zpsz2pyajcq.jpg

Got some more peppers brought to me
This time I roasted them then I took the stems out put them and the other ingredients in blended and blended them a nice very hot sauce...
Ingredients
 27 mixed peppers roasted and destemmed
6   garlic cloves
2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar

Now to figure out to ether can them in a water bath or pressure cooker.

IMG_0624_zpsluksa9px.jpg

IMG_0626_zpsjfikwppg.jpg

IMG_0627_zpshnczb6ph.jpg

First beautiful sauce ready for some enchiladas!! :) without a ph meter I pressure canned everything not worth getting yourself or especially someone else sick my friend. Looks great but food safety is one thing we don't take lightly here. So be safe and keep grinding out those sauces yer on a roll. How about fermenting?

oldsalty said:
First beautiful sauce ready for some enchiladas!! :) without a ph meter I pressure canned everything not worth getting yourself or especially someone else sick my friend. Looks great but food safety is one thing we don't take lightly here. So be safe and keep grinding out those sauces yer on a roll. How about fermenting?
I really need to learn how to use a pressure cooker to can. I have considered the fermenting method but I am afraid of the whole mold thing and since I don't take much to get sick sometimes I am worried about that. I need to watch some youtube videos on how to can with a pressure cooker though, are you able to do this with any size jars like jelly/jam jars or do they all need to be the bell canning jars?

Student of Spice said:
I really need to learn how to use a pressure cooker to can. I have considered the fermenting method but I am afraid of the whole mold thing and since I don't take much to get sick sometimes I am worried about that. I need to watch some youtube videos on how to can with a pressure cooker though, are you able to do this with any size jars like jelly/jam jars or do they all need to be the bell canning jars?
Hey Student of Spice it's super easy. The equipment is relatively cheap. But having all of it is important for success.http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438783489&sr=8-1&keywords=pressure+canners+for+canningI purchased the larger one bought one of the used ones for 60$ the larger size allows for two rows and great for the big jars as well. As far as jars you can use any that are tempered like ball jars regular glass will break from heat and pressure. I would recommend getting a extra canning rack for the two layer technique. One has to be on bottom glasses sit on it to keep from contacting the cooker.
41PkF8JaldL._AA160_.jpg
41J2WXVHVRL._AA160_.jpg
the other rack sits on top of first row.
Sorry for the jumble of words! :) and here's the pics of the other items funnels wide mouth, jar clamps for removing hot jars etc

This is the model I have you can also find all these products at Wal-Mart.
41WKRYORiOL._AA160_.jpg

Hope this helps a little brother just shoot me a pm if you need any help been canning my whole life!! :) glad to help!

oldsalty said:
Hey Student of Spice it's super easy. The equipment is relatively cheap. But having all of it is important for success.http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438783489&sr=8-1&keywords=pressure+canners+for+canningI purchased the larger one bought one of the used ones for 60$ the larger size allows for two rows and great for the big jars as well. As far as jars you can use any that are tempered like ball jars regular glass will break from heat and pressure. I would recommend getting a extra canning rack for the two layer technique. One has to be on bottom glasses sit on it to keep from contacting the cooker.
attachicon.gif
41PkF8JaldL._AA160_.jpg
attachicon.gif
41J2WXVHVRL._AA160_.jpg the other rack sits on top of first row.
Sorry for the jumble of words! :) and here's the pics of the other items funnels wide mouth, jar clamps for removing hot jars etc

This is the model I have you can also find all these products at Wal-Mart.
attachicon.gif
41WKRYORiOL._AA160_.jpg

Hope this helps a little brother just shoot me a pm if you need any help been canning my whole life!! :) glad to help!

Thanks it does help. I followed the link to amazon and I think I will pick it up from there with the accessories. I did read the reviews and they looked pretty good. I did notice it is able to be used on a smooth top oven so I will give you a shout when I get all the stuff. Thanks man

Back