• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Does a potato nullify the right of classification as a chili? / What do you feel is acceptable in a

Put whatever you want! The whole "no fillers" controversy comes from CASI and ICS rules so judges can taste the chili without starchy fillers... beans, corn, rice, potatoes, pasta, all no-nos. This makes judging easier and lets you really taste the "gravy" which is the combination of meat, chilies, and sauce. But add whatever you like, unless you are in a Texas-style competition. 

I'll eat it many ways, why be boring? Like pizza toppings. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Dude chili cheese fries rock! And them is taters... tell me chili and taters don't mix again???
Definitely one of my favourites but that's after a killer chili has been made I friggen hate it when I eat chili with mushrooms or pepperoni or some other spaghetti sauce type of fake chili let's have some standards.
You want potatoes then call it goulash !!!!!!!! :evil:

And boiled potato is no French fry

I understand the purist mentality (obviously, I've pointed things out here and there but usually when I feel they didn't know) but I wouldn't stop someone from eating what they want to eat or experimenting. I respect both. It's fine to cook both ways. And it's fine to still call it chili with starches, imo. Do you ever sauce BBQ when it's on the smoker? Some purists say BBQ is rub only while cooking. Life is too short. Enjoy what you eat.

The Hot Pepper said:
I understand the purist mentality (obviously, I've pointed things out here and there but usually when I feel they didn't know) but I wouldn't stop someone from eating what they want to eat or experimenting. I respect both. It's fine to cook both ways. And it's fine to still call it chili with starches, imo. Do you ever sauce BBQ when it's on the smoker? Some purists say BBQ is rub only while cooking. Life is too short. Enjoy what you eat.
Well as a BBQ purist I do sauce Q and as for sauce or rub that's more regional than a purist thing!!! :)
I only sauce ribs and that's at the very end of the cook. I also do the rub only method depending on the flavor profile I'm looking for. The wet verse dry is more about flavor preferences. What is gained in chili by adding potato. starch?
Justosmo is cool if the brother wants potato in his goulash fine but that's not chili.

Ok Boss what the Hell does Texas chili and potatoes have to do with each other were not talking beans or sans beans. I make chili many ways with different ingredients depending on the region like Mexican chili with chocolate or adding coffee but potatoes and chili should only come together on fries!! :) as we've agreed on earlier!! :)
Heckle said:
If they start having standards around here then I'm the first one to go!!!

Theyre gonna tattoo a pepper on my wrist and lock me in hot topics!

In conclusion, potatoes.

Hahaha hahaha heckle yer a riot brother!! :) no potato

Back