dehydrators looking for a good dehydrator

i'm shopping for one, but not looking to drop a dime on it, sub 100!!!   any recommendations?   ideally i'd love to get an Excalibur and i'm trying to get one off the ebays on the cheap  

is there a need for one?   i have a real cheap one from aldi i believe, but i havent used it, kinda dont like the whole no timer thing.  

I have a sausage maker and an Excalibur these tend to run higher in price. But as juanitos pointed out these cheaper models while not as good for some jobs are excellent for dehydrating peppers tomatoes etc. If yer looking into jerky the first two are the way to go. I've found Excalibur for cheap on Craig's list just have to search. Good luck on your purchase :)

uh well some people talk about viability of seeds after being in a very hot dehydrator, so they run theirs on low(like 105f), but if you have no temp adjustment... you can't run it on low lol. If you deseeed before, or dont care about seed viability, get the cheap one sure.

i think eventually i'd love to start making my own jerky especially when i start incorporating sauces and marinades from the peppers i grow :)  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Let me know how the chrome plated trays work out. It seems all the chrome I have around the kitchen that is coated rusts at some point. I like the design just wish the racks were something else! 

Can't wait to hear your review!

Thanks Chris! I went ahead and ordered the all-stainless model...My 25 New Mexico Chile plants, not to mention my 5 plants of Chilhuacle Rojo, are loaded and breaking branches. There's no way I could dry all those pods with the little plastic Wal-Mart piece o' crap I've been using for the last few years...

windchicken said:

Thanks Chris! I went ahead and ordered the all-stainless model...My 25 New Mexico Chile plants, not to mention my 5 plants of Chilhuacle Rojo, are loaded and breaking branches. There's no way I could dry all those pods with the little plastic Wal-Mart piece o' crap I've been using for the last few years...
Agreed, I burned out 3 of them using them for personal stash of stuff. We get what we pay for as the saying goes! 
The Hot Pepper said:
He bought the all SS one. ;)
Ok, he quoted you and your link and that one is ss body with chrome racks ;) 

Back