• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One Reaper vs Another

This is my 2nd year growing. 1st year was reaper seeds from amazon (i didnt know lol), which gave me a terrific Red Savina Hab. I count that as a win. This year in an attempt to get good Reapers I planted pepperlover strain, some I recieved from a THP member, seeds I personaly took from an excellent reaper pod I was given, and even grew 2 "chocolate reapers" tho I didnt expect much from those.

0 of my plants produced the reaper pod you would want. Bumpy and gnarly with some form of a tail. 0 for 5.

So I said fuck it and ordered straight from the source. 2 packages of Smokin Ed's Carolina Reapers.

Anybody grow actual smokin Ed's Reapers? How have they compared to other strains in your experience? I understand the stability of Reapers in general is questionable, I am just curious how they have stacked up againts other strains

Growing my first Reapers from Ed this year. Last year I bought 5 Reapers plants from CCN and all grew true. I assume they got their seed from Ed since it says they are licensed to sell the Reaper on their site. I have two of those I over wintered going and I also have Reapers from Judy growing this year as well. Pods on Ed's and Judy's still too small to tell if they will grow true. All together maybe 15 Reapers

I bought into the craze when Pepper Joe was first promoting them because I have got his list / catalog in the mail for years.  That year, I grew Puckerbutt and Pepper Joe reaper seeds.  Strangest damn thing, the Pepper Joe seeds grew out more reliably than the Puckerbutt seeds.  The Puckerbutt seeds weren't horribly off the way some people report, they just were not as good as the Pepper Joe seeds.  Odd because I am sure Pepper Joe was getting seed from Puckerbutt. 

Yea that is wierd. Luck of the draw i suppose. I will just keep trying i guess. One day I will have a plant that grows the pods I want, and then I can select seeds to continue, clone, and over winter. I would like to do some crossing of peppers, but I am not going to bother crossing reapers that arent of great quality. Just stick with the 15 varieties I have that grew true this season and hope some Reapers grow true soon.

I grow reapers for 3 years now and I still don't know how they are supposed to look :) Google search gives you conflicting images too. So I would be very interested to see a true carolina reaper image, if there is one

I got lucky with these since they came from one of PJ's growers but they're correct pheno, all the same characteristics as Ed's plants including a burn that makes you wanna rip your throat out through your face.

I have noticed that there is a "Reaper" floating around among members of this site that isn't quite right, I got some in a SFRB a while back, they're not legit but people keep spreading them around as reapers anyways.  They're great peppers, don't get me wrong, but they're not legit.

20150804_171515_zpstb28axgk.jpg

they get about ping pong ball sized and weigh noticeably more than, say, a primo or a scorp.  The burn hits your throat in a very unique way that I haven't experienced in any other pepper.

I had some that looked like one on your picture, but I also had some that didn't (on the same plant). The burn was pretty consistent throughout the peppers, though

Scorched said:
Growing my first Reapers from Ed this year. Last year I bought 5 Reapers plants from CCN and all grew true. I assume they got their seed from Ed since it says they are licensed to sell the Reaper on their site. I have two of those I over wintered going and I also have Reapers from Judy growing this year as well. Pods on Ed's and Judy's still too small to tell if they will grow true. All together maybe 15 Reapers

Got any pictures?
hotchill said:
I had some that looked like one on your picture, but I also had some that didn't (on the same plant). The burn was pretty consistent throughout the peppers, though

There's gonna be some variation on one plant, that's nature but consistently you should see a tail like that at least in half or more of them.

Helvete said:

Got any pictures?

Will post some once pods get a bit bigger and actually look like Reapers. No pics from last year. Only just started taking pics

There are a ton of different shaped peppers being called Reapers. It's really crazy. I see people posting pics of "Reapers" on FB all the time that look nothing like Reapers. I don't know if the problem is people buying untrue seed and then ,never having seen a Reaper, calling what they grow Reapers and then passing them on. For a pepper that should be stable by this point I've never seen so many different shapes. That statement is not bashing the creator. 

Thats the look i am searching for. Gnarly. I have only had 1 true reaper. The 3rd super I have ever tried. Started with a Brain Strain. Then a 7 pot brown. Then a Reaper. While milk stopped the burn for a moment on the 7's, the reaper seemed to just burn right thru it. Ever since that experience I have been trying to get a good Reaper of my own. If none of the plants from these 2 packs are good enough, I will try again.

I should have room considering next season I am going from over a dozen varieties to 6. I am only going to grow the couple milds my woman likes, my 3 over winters, my cross project, and as many Reapers as I have to to get the peppers I want

Scorched said:

never having seen a Reaper, calling what they grow Reapers and then passing them on.
I actually ran into a similar issue with someone locally, I gave him a bulk of the seeds he grew out this year and he ended up with like 600-700 plants that he couldn't identify because they were all mixed up because a local nursery started them for him.  He had several flats of "Yellow scorpions" which was very interesting considering I never gave him any seeds for yellow scorpions...I ended up with an entire flat of them and wondered why they looked suspiciously like annuums.  Now they've podded and come to find out they're Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms, which I did give him several dried pods of last year.  He thought they were scorpions...and he gave out tons of those plants telling people they were scorpions.  The cycle will continue for god knows how long from that point.

Scorched, on wonky looking Carolina Reaper peppers: I see the same thing with ghost peppers.  I think it is just anything popular will wind up being rushed to the consumer.

Check out these ghost peppers that seem to be habs.  They made it to a major grocery store here in the US and very few people seemed to notice they were not ghost peppers.

http://www.lazylightning.org/uesugi-farms-ghost-peppers-available-at-cub-foods

I am willing to bet more than one person saved the seeds and grew a bunch of not ghost pepper plants.

ajdrew said:
Scorched, on wonky looking Carolina Reaper peppers: I see the same thing with ghost peppers.  I think it is just anything popular will wind up being rushed to the consumer.

Check out these ghost peppers that seem to be habs.  They made it to a major grocery store here in the US and very few people seemed to notice they were not ghost peppers.

http://www.lazylightning.org/uesugi-farms-ghost-peppers-available-at-cub-foods

I am willing to bet more than one person saved the seeds and grew a bunch of not ghost pepper plants.

Those do look like habs but they could possibly be Naga Morich, I have some that look similar.  Either way they're not Bhuts.

I picked up two plants from a local guy who had them both marked as reapers and two others marked as trinidad moragu scorpions.  Three are looking to be ghost peppers but one is a really fascinating looking reaper -- I think. 

Here's the one I'm hoping is an actual reaper:
20017289300_3d0621ea5b_b.jpg

19913733850_fab35f132e_b.jpg

19479099564_bd98209ca0_b.jpg

19644259423_943f901c5c_b.jpg

Swampy, seems like a lot of branches, or is it more than one plant in the picture.  If its just one plant, wondering if you promoted all those branches with trimming.  Looks like wow no matter which.

Back