• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Corking Hot Sauces

I am a bit new to this website, I have many peppers in the garden about to ripen soon I am wanting to make a homemade hot sauce, I have some swing top cork bottles, I was wondering if i can store the hot sauces in there and if the shelf life will be as good as canning? i usually boil them in mason jars but i am wanting to switch it up. Thanks in advance!.

Shannonmelek said:
I am a bit new to this website, I have many peppers in the garden about to ripen soon I am wanting to make a homemade hot sauce, I have some swing top cork bottles, I was wondering if i can store the hot sauces in there and if the shelf life will be as good as canning? i usually boil them in mason jars but i am wanting to switch it up. Thanks in advance!.
Really depends on ph levels for shelf stability.

Shannonmelek said:

Welcome to THP!  OS said it right - pH levels will note shelf stability.  I have some of the bottles you speak of and we use them for making home made ginger beer.  They work fine for that, and would work fine for hot sauce too I'd imagine so long as your hot sauce is acidic enough to stay out - or if not just store it in the fridge.   :)

I've seen corked hot sauce I just don't know if the method is any different. 

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

I am fairly sure folk have just given proper advice.  With enough acidity nothing can live.  But why risk it?  A water bath canner is nothing more than a big pot, mason jars are cheap, and the process is simple.  Now if you really want to be paranoid ( I am ) you could go the longer route and use a pressure canner. 

Hi Shannon~
:welcome: to THP.

Regarding the corked bottles, if they are like swing tops I've seen that have a rubber or plastic stopper, then they are OK to use.  Using a process as outlined in Making hot Sauce 101, the HotFill/Hold technique should work and they would be shelf stable (good pH and all that also...). 

If they are actual natural cork, they shouldn't be used.

Have Fun!  Keep us posted and Post Pics (we luv pics!!!)

salsalady

salsalady said:

If they are actual natural cork, they shouldn't be used.

Why? I've had many corked sauces. 

I would imagine that as natural cork, they are somewhat pourus and there might be an area where the hot fill doesn't reach after time that could allow for the formation/accumulation of nasties.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.

ajdrew said:
I am fairly sure folk have just given proper advice.  With enough acidity nothing can live.  But why risk it?  A water bath canner is nothing more than a big pot, mason jars are cheap, and the process is simple.  Now if you really want to be paranoid ( I am ) you could go the longer route and use a pressure canner. 
 I usually do the water bath in my canning processes. I just wanted something different.
sirex said:
I would imagine that as natural cork, they are somewhat pourus and there might be an area where the hot fill doesn't reach after time that could allow for the formation/accumulation of nasties.

Then again, I could be totally wrong.
makes sense. thank you.

I've had these:

bella_pepper.jpg
bella_pepper_cap.JPG

Long gone. Post a pic of your bottles.

sirex pretty much got it.

When I asked about using corked bottles for the Fluffy Bunny sauce, my process authority said that if it was for a collectors edition only and not intended for consumption, plus it was completely sealed with wax, that would be OK,  Natural cork is porous, there's a risk of air getting into the sealed bottle.  All sauces with "refrigerate after opening" would be at risk of air leaking(leaching?) into the sealed bottle.  The other issue is sterilization.  I don't know what process if any wine bottlers use on their natural corks.  I would guess that a natural cork with a "bad spot" (you know what I'm talking about :lol: ) in the bottom of the cork could be a potential for problems for nasties.

Boss, the stopper you showed looks much smoother than most natural cork stoppers, it almost looks like wood.  We don't know the pH of the shown sauce, might be 3.0?, or how it was sealed?  They may irradiate the stopper before sealing the bottle...who knows?  Especially for a just starting out hobby sauce maker, I would not recommend using a natural cork. 

Here's some bale top botttles-  is it something like these?

For posting pics, you have to use an off-site picture hosting service like photobucket, flickr, etc.  Upload the picture there, Copy the code/link, paste that into your post here on THP and the image will show in your post when the post is posted.

PS- Those who have an Extreme Membership can upload directly from computer to THP, no need for off-site hosting ~ 

:lol:  I'm going postal after that last bit~~~  :crazy:  :lol:

salsalady said:
 All sauces with "refrigerate after opening" would be at risk of air leaking(leaching?) into the sealed bottle.

I don't refrigerate. ;) Hot sauce is fine out.

But yeah maybe cork not the best, that cork top was most likely tested and proven. Still I've left tops loose, left bottles open, all is good. 

Lots of way to be unique though.

Back