• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Is This Ferment Still Good?

My first ferment, was hoping to let it go another month. It seems that the top has started to turn brown/off yellow. I have not opened it and it has sat in the pantry for a month already. No mold or yeast growth. Is this something that happens or should i toss it? It was extremly active about a week ago now it seems to of stopped.

Twice the Spice said:
Alright! will do, I was just slightly concerned because of the off color.

I think you're ok.  I will get some darkening or oxidation towards the top of ferments that go for long periods of time.  So long as there's no mold or funky growth and your nose is giving you good signals when it's finally opened you should be ok.  :)

Greetings!

Is this ferment still Good? No funky smell whatsoever :) Thanks in advance :)

2vi37ec.jpg

burning man said:
Greetings!

Is this ferment still Good? No funky smell whatsoever :) Thanks in advance :)

2vi37ec.jpg
I think I've dived their!!! :) that's one crazy looking pic. But it looks like Kahm yeast. Hard to say the picture has a blue tinge. But if it smells ok yer probably ok. When they are bad you'll know it!!! :(

Is that an open vessel could you take more pics?

Sorry for hijacking thread Twice the Spice ! Burning Man you should move this to a separate thread to continue :) But glad to help.

I had a reaper mash get dark on the top layer so I removed as much as possible then added some vinegar and kept it in the fridge for months before using. It was fine. Other than the fact that it's like 16 oz of burning Hell in a jar.

Back