• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

need ideas to grow watercress in florida

Watercress has some amazing health benefits and taste pretty good. I don't know of a way to replicate the running water that it enjoys. Does anyone know of a good way I can grow this? Perhaps a self watering 5 gallon bucket? No clue so any help is appreciated!

I thought about doing that myself, mainly because it's so damn expensive here. I looked in on a couple aquaponics forums for ideas and pretty much found that if you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers. The watercress seems to grow best in gravel beds with running water. I'm sure a 5 gallon bucket recycling into a milk crate full of gravel or cinder so that the water trickles down through the roots and back into the bucket while the vegetation grows out the holes in the sides of the crate could work.
Haven't built one yet but it's on my bucket list.

Hawaiianero said:
I thought about doing that myself, mainly because it's so damn expensive here. I looked in on a couple aquaponics forums for ideas and pretty much found that if you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers. The watercress seems to grow best in gravel beds with running water. I'm sure a 5 gallon bucket recycling into a milk crate full of gravel or cinder so that the water trickles down through the roots and back into the bucket while the vegetation grows out the holes in the sides of the crate could work.
Haven't built one yet but it's on my bucket list.
Is there a simple tutorial I can follow for an easy diy?! I've been wanting to find a tutorial in putting small pepper plants in just hydro solution until roots get long enough with a pump but haven't found a good tutorial either.
It's so expensive here too I haven't had it in awhile now that I think of it.

Back