• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Arctic and subarctic perennials and herbs

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these types of plants, things like beach strawberries, chocolate lilies, etc.  They don't necessarily have to be edible, anything that can withstand as low as -32F/C (although my ag zone is only rated for -20F you never know).  I've already had success growing Siberian skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) in the Southern heat, although it was difficult in the hot spring.  Some of the cooler/more temperate plants I tried this year did not perform well at all because Virginia's May/June are just too hot and I wasn't sure what to do (henbane, wormwood, Russian belladonna)  I've got a whole 'nother realm of possibilites as far as my botanical interests go and I'm going to try to specialize in strawberries first and move into working with nightshades under 24/7 daylight (a difficult task because of root development, some should be fine with it like S. dulcamara and H. niger which grow readily in Scandinavia).

20150801_171431_zpsp9pq5zsc.jpg

Siberian Skullcap, Baikal Scullcap, Scutellaria baicalensis

20150622_132500_zpseosnjw3m.jpg

Northern Monkshood, Aconitum noveboracense

Back