• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Fresh green salsa with red tomato's

This recipe is for a fresh uncooked green salsa with red tomato's. I use this on bean burrito's and other dishes to add a zing and balance to red hot sauce.

Ingredients:

• 2 or 3 cups of fresh cilantro (see picture)
  • 1 ripe red tomato
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 large serrano pepper or 1/2 jalapeno pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic (add as much as you like)
  • the juice of one lime (add more if required in order to get enough liquid to merge all ingredients properly)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (season to your taste)
  • 1 teaspoon bottled red hot sauce
  • 2&1/2 to 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
IMG_3552.JPG

Add all ingredients to a food processor except the grapeseed oil and process for 2 minutes.

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

Drizzle the grapeseed oil into the food processor from the top while it is running. This will help to emulsify the mixture. Process for about 90 seconds The color and texture will smooth a bit.

IMG_3615.JPG

Transfer to a container and store in the fridge for up to 9 days.

IMG_3563.JPG

It's great on burritos

IMG_3620.JPG

I just made a round of salsa verde with avocado. recipe was roughly 

8 tomatillos halved
3 cgn-21500
1 serrano
2 paper lantern habs
4 aji omni color
2 aji limon
1 aji amarillo
4 criolla sella
1/2 cup cilantro
3 cloves of garlic
handful of pineapple ground cherries

tossed in the food processor ran till smooth

added in 1/2 a minced white onion
juice of 2 limes
1t olive oil
sea salt to taste

forked until avocado was worked in. 

Going onto some skirt steak tacos tonight

hogleg said:
Sauce looks awesome. :drooling:  I make something similar with roasted tomatillos. 

Nice Tacos!! oh I mean Burritos.   :party:
Nice!. I am going to try some stuff with roasted Tomatio's. Sometimes they aren't readily available in our  region, but across the border ( I live right on the border) they are there all the time since there is a huge Mexican population that lives in the town. Lot's of varieties of peppers and Guerrero corn tortillas there also. 

hogleg said:

Nice Tacos!! oh I mean Burritos.   :party:
 I'm glad you made that comment because it got me wondering about the distinction . So I did some Googling and wow!. you are so right. Those are actually Tacos (not burrito's). I always associated a Taco as something with a hard shell, but they actually originated as a soft wrap. The Burrito is a recent invention that usually has rice and some beans involved. The ones I make would really be Tacos not Burritos.  :surprised:

That looks great, but what happens on the ninth day?

cone9 said:
That looks great, but what happens on the ninth day?
:lol:   9 days is the longest I have kept it without any ill effects. So I wondered if it was wise to keep pushing my luck and drew the line at 9, but it's usually time to make another batch before that happens. 
JoynersHotPeppers said:
It's empty
Yes, that's usually the case !

Back