• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Devils Brain

rkempston said:
So I ordered a bunch of devils brain seeds from pepperlover.com this season and wondered if anyone has grown these yet? How's the heat and flavor?
Hello, we are almost neighbors, only about an hour and a half south from you.  Don't see many others on here near me.  I have a devil's brain plant that is pretty loaded, but haven't tried one yet.  Its one of about 30 pods I need to try yet, but can get caught up.   Looks pretty wicked though, I am expecting some extreme heat with it.

I have been thing about growing it next year, so I'm hoping that it will grow well for me.  Any Photo's of the plant yet?

rkempston said:
Awesome. And moruga welder on here is also really close to me too. He's from streator

We've got quite a few regular posters who aren't far from I80.  I drive through there quite often on my way to visit family down in Peoria.  

rkempston said:
Awesome. And moruga welder on here is also really close to me too. He's from streator
Sorry to sidetrack you thread.  But yeah, I stopped by Franks a while back on way home from Chicago.  I'll put up some picks and maybe give the Devil's brain a try this weekend.

SmokenFire said:

We've got quite a few regular posters who aren't far from I80.  I drive through there quite often on my way to visit family down in Peoria.  
Hey man, I live close to Peoria and work there.

My first significant pull from these.
Hope to finally try one this week.
IMG_20150822_204530585_zpstrrelvcr.jpg

jcw10tc said:

Did you have a chance to try 1 yet?  Very interested in the flavor profile as I'm thinking about adding them next season.

QuatroCrazy said:
Did you have a chance to try 1 yet?  Very interested in the flavor profile as I'm thinking about adding them next season.
I liked them. Very hot but not stupid. Made some salsa with one and it was great. Cut the rest up to smoke and dehydrate for powder. Depending how good that is will help me decide one or 2 plants next year. Definitely growing again and would recommend it.

jcw10tc said:
Those look really good. I am growing these and I am very excited about them, but the only other photo I found on this site was less than exciting. They just looked like Bhuts. These look just like the pictures on Judy's site!

Looks like a ghost x brainstrain, and selected for a more ghost like shape, but with a wrinkly texture like the brain strain. I'm thinking I'll grow these next year too.

Anyone have an idea on the flavor? More floral like a 7-pod perhaps?

Mene said:
Those look really good. I am growing these and I am very excited about them, but the only other photo I found on this site was less than exciting. They just looked like Bhuts. These look just like the pictures on Judy's site!
Mine all had very brainy texture. These are better than bhuts in every way to me. Thicker solid pods, similar or more heat and way better taste.

jcw10tc said:
Mine all had very brainy texture. These are better than bhuts in every way to me. Thicker solid pods, similar or more heat and way better taste.
That's good to hear. Looks like only one of my plants is going to survive. I hope it's the proper pheno 

Back