• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds,seeds,seeds and more seeds...

I've been sitting here going through various seed supplier's web sites thinking about next years crop, even though I still have about 90% of this years going strong. As I was doing this and making my wish list, I became curious...How many others are doing the same, planning for next year while half way through this years grow season? I almost have a my full grow list done for next year though :lol: talk about being prepared.

I don't have a list yet, but I am already on the lookout for more varieties I wanna grow. I'll have much more space thanks to my garden and I'll feel much more secure having as many seeds as possible in late summer/fall than having to chase them in early 2009. I wanna start my seedlings in winter.
Same goes for tomatoe seeds and any others. In other words: you are not alone!!!

this is my first season and i am already getting ready for my next...lol

seeds, greenhouse, lights ( for indoors ), going to try to do it right with early fruit for next season..

cant wait..lol

What i do I always try to have new variety each year & keep my favor ones every year that way I expend my collection, it is lot new variety out there every year it is hard to keep a track what is new all the time beause there are so many variety from each country in the world,I would like to have lot of wild rare species so they don't disappear one they from the wild.

I have much of my seeds for next year all set, labeled, and ready to go. I have to add a few as i may have a yard to plant in next year if things continue to go well. :)

A few types of habanero, a mystery mulitcolored ornamental, tien jin, and another one that right now escapes me.

This is also my first peper growing season, and I've been hit by the fever pretty hard.

I already started ordering seeds a couple of weeks ago.
At one point I had ordered about 35 varieties from 4 online retailers, and thought I was all set for 2009.

Alas... the fever got stronger, after reading threads, threads and more threads, I found beautiful varieties I wanted to grow too in 2009.

One of the worst things is that some of those sellers that give loads of free seeds extra. (yes 915river, you are one of them :-) )
So after ordering 50 varieties and getting 19 free types I ended up with 69 types of seed.. Aargghh..

I don't plan on growing any new varieties next season except the Douglah. I'm actually planning on growing a lot less varieties and finally focusing on getting tonnes of my favorites instead of always trying to grow what's new or trendy.

Have been a little crazy seeing as it was my first year..and ended up growing god no`s how many..Next year more focused on flavor and things i think might make my palette sing..or explode..in either order and grow more vegetables and tomato variety's to accompany the chilis :)

I will be cutting the number of varieties I grow next year down to probably 30 or so and will keep the number of plants to around 200...378 plants this year was way overboard...and that is after I gave probably 100 away... :lol:

I have most of what I want to grow already....

Next year I want to try some of the super hots and try some of the more exotic Hab varieties like White Hab. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage this yet and since I haven't tasted all of the peppers I'm growing this year, I don't know which ones (if any) I'll want to give up.

Not alone. This is the first seaon I've really had an opportunity to have a serious garden, so my list of to-do's and learned not-to-do's stretches a mile.

One big factor setting mine apart from the neighbors, who poke their heads over the fence to drool, is I took 3 weekends around the last frost and turned every inch over with a shovel, broke every 50 pound clump up by hand and pulled every root and bit of grass out. I think it really made a difference. My eggplant is shooting for head high.

Everything is huge. In just plain ol Arkansas sod. Over the winter I want to double the size.

Yes, I am already planning on the varieties that I want to grow in 2009. Will expand into the Chinese and Baactum species and grow some hotter Cayennes and JalapeƱos (Thinking about Biker Billy).

I've been looking at some of the on-line seeds supplies like Pepper Joe's and Burpee's but haven't bought anything yet. My thinking is that it will be better to wait until the mid-fall when the 2009 catalogs are out and the seeds will be fresher (from last season).

Does anyone else wait until the fall when the 2009 catalogs come out or do you think that it doesn't matter if you buy now?

This yearsgarden pretty much went to sh*t..Im going to think smalland learn from my mistakes...last years garden was kick ass..Im going to have some super hotties plus ones I like..who knows..Oh and lable things better...my plant I thought was a naga in my back yard isnt a naga...My nagas are small but producing good in my garden...Ill have to look at pics to see what it is

I'm definitely cutting down on super hots big time next season. I'll grow a few of the new types, but it will be many less. :)

Chris

I'm pretty much in the same camp with AJ and Potawie. If the Fair wants me to do a display next year, I'll probably have about 25 types. If they don't about 15 types but at least three of each type.

I have lots of seeds left over but I'll bin them - too many seeds (not peppers but other veggies) that I sowed this year didn't sprout that I'm not taking a chance. I would much rather spend $30-35 on seeds and know they are fresh as waste time and effort trying to sprout old seeds.

My main focus will be on toms, with some attention to eggplants and peppers. I want to have no fewer than 200 tom plants and 25 each of peppers and eggplants to sell in early May. I still need to do some tests but I am loving the way seedlings - at least toms and a Scorpion are growing under a 45 watt LED light. I planted seeds on June 24 and the plants are now about eight inches tall with a very nice canopy. They are large enough to sell, as is. But I'm thinking that since the weather is much warmer than it will be this winter, I need to sow them about the second week of February next year. I may try some the first week, a bunch the second week then the last ones the third week.

Mike

We cant have 2 days here without a major rainfall im suprised the superhotties took so well..Anything storebought hasnt panned out at all...im very dissapointed but this years weather has sucked rather bad...
On a lighter note..Someone want a kitten??I have one in my garage hiding and its not mine..sheesh..Daughtor wants to keep it the wife is in love with it..Told them 3 cats and a lab is enough think ill be borrowing a live trap then to the spca poor fella..I know where the fate is there..Ive been calling local farms to take a barn cat since thing is not humanized...Why do I have this bad feeling we have another cat????
Ive hijacked enough back to the thread lol

I'm not sure how old the seeds are, but the storage methods must be questionable. I have had few issues germinating 5-10 year old pepper seed over the years. Tomatoes fit these parameters easily as well I'm told.

Chris

wordwiz said:
I'm pretty much in the same camp with AJ and Potawie. If the Fair wants me to do a display next year, I'll probably have about 25 types. If they don't about 15 types but at least three of each type.

I have lots of seeds left over but I'll bin them - too many seeds (not peppers but other veggies) that I sowed this year didn't sprout that I'm not taking a chance. I would much rather spend $30-35 on seeds and know they are fresh as waste time and effort trying to sprout old seeds.

My main focus will be on toms, with some attention to eggplants and peppers. I want to have no fewer than 200 tom plants and 25 each of peppers and eggplants to sell in early May. I still need to do some tests but I am loving the way seedlings - at least toms and a Scorpion are growing under a 45 watt LED light. I planted seeds on June 24 and the plants are now about eight inches tall with a very nice canopy. They are large enough to sell, as is. But I'm thinking that since the weather is much warmer than it will be this winter, I need to sow them about the second week of February next year. I may try some the first week, a bunch the second week then the last ones the third week.

Mike

I myself am reusing this years grow list because things went sour this year and I am only growing like three off my list. but that depeneds on how fast i recover from my surgery might not have any next year we will see.

I'm not sure how old the seeds are, but the storage methods must be questionable. I have had few issues germinating 5-10 year old pepper seed over the years. Tomatoes fit these parameters easily as well I'm told.

You may be right, but the seeds have been kept at room temperature and in a dark, dry place for the last year. Basil, beets and carrots seem to be non-performers.

Given that I can buy an ounce of seeds for a couple of bucks (do you know have any idea how many carrot or beet seeds are in an ounce!), to me it isn't worth using old seeds.

YMMV,

Mike

Back