• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Tenda Rub...Forget "low and slow"!

Well, the thing about labels for food, they give it away ...

I'm going to guess there's oil in it, and an acid - vinegar, and likely some enzymatic aid - like bromelain (pineapple) or papalain or whatever the papaya's enzyme is called ...

Cook ribs over direct flame for an hour and the meat pulls away from the bone, and the meat looks white as a pork chop? Never knew that! :lol:

So, if you look, the guy's smart ... he's written plenty of papers, and as a consummate professional - in ad/marketing =) ...

His wife's Jamaican, and the stuff is based on a Peruvian way of cooking ...

Here's the thing ... You can probably hack ribs at 300-400F (grilling over ashed over coals, like normal grilling), and get them to pull off the bone, and possibly even still be juicy for blocking evaporation and using enzymes, but you won't have Q ...

You'll have ribs, but you won't have developed ANY of that sweet, Q aromatic that low and slow has ...

So yeah, you can cook ribs ... but you haven't made BBQ IMHO ...
But hey - the Q's in the BBQ sauce bottle, just squirt it on those one-hour ribs and spend the other 5 hours drinking beer!

Nah his Peruvian friend wouldn't give up the recipe but God did...

"Within moments, he heard a voice that whispered the name of an ingredient.  Immediately, he knew that it was the voice of the Lord, and that it was the missing ingredient for the chicken recipe.  It was not the same ingredient that any of the Peruvian restaurants use (you can’t find it in any of the Peruvian chicken recipes on the web). It worked! The chicken was marvelously delicious."

Looks like Alabama white sauce with a little more salmon color from dry rub in it. There's nothing special in the ribs he showed. The ones he twisted look horrible. Almost shrunk completely off the bone.

Snakeoil comes in many forms.

The miracle/infomercial wording is a putoff. 

This falls back on another discussion we were having, of people not knowing what real BBQ is. Maybe this did taste good. It looked awful. It was white, charred, and all shrunken off the bone. We all know some disasters can taste good to our guests lol.

The Hot Pepper said:
This falls back on another discussion we were having, of people not knowing what real BBQ is. Maybe this did taste good. It looked awful. It was white, charred, and all shrunken off the bone. We all know some disasters can taste good to our guests lol.
My grilled ribs look superior to that shit he cooked. I cook them over indirect and it takes about 1 to 1.5 hours and they are very good but not in the same league as BBQ/Smoker ribs.

I wish I could get my hands on this stuff just to show you stodgy prigs what Tenda Rub can really do, in the right hands. I think I'd be willing to buy a jar, if oldsalty would use it one time, and give it his best shot. It would be fun.

Roguejim said:
I wish I could get my hands on this stuff just to show you stodgy prigs what Tenda Rub can really do, in the right hands. I think I'd be willing to buy a jar, if oldsalty would use it one time, and give it his best shot. It would be fun.

Did you just ask oldsalty for a tenda rub???

:lol:

Back