• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Oldsalty competition practice ribs

Hey there all you groovy cats!! Oldsalty is competing in a local rib cook no wrapping allowed you must straight cook.
So here's my first try with my new rub and mop. The rub is my own, with the ribs getting salt and pepper then refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours. After removing ribs lightly sprinkle Dee Roo stardust sprinkle on both sides, if you haven't heard about this stuff talk with SmokenFire and get some asap!!! I use this on everything it ROCKS, then lightly rub with yellow mustard. Next I lightly sprinkle my rub on both sides. I keep rub light enough I can still see the ribs.

Next my newest version uses Mexican brown sugar. This is the real deal!!! Will never use regular brown sugar again. The flavor profile with this is off the charts. I only use the brown sugar on the top of the ribs no need to waste on bottom of ribs.
I run my smoke temp at 230 deg for ribs this gives the best cook I believe for ribs and is low enough you won't burn sugars. This is a 6 1/2 to 7 hour cook for spare ribs. 4 hrs for baby back ribs. These were cut St Louis style.
IMG_20150815_120429.jpg

IMG_20150815_123629.jpg

IMG_20150815_123949.jpg

IMG_20150815_130233.jpg
IMG_20150815_153119.jpg

My mop is an Apple cider and heavy honey mixture. Honey for the Money!!!!! This combo is sprayed on not mopped. Mopping removes to much rub.
IMG_20150815_191617.jpg
these were finished in my sweet finishing sauce.

These were cooked perfect not falling off the bone but melted in yer mouth. Easy bite thru right to the bone and great moisture. The best ribs I've made to date. The last pic shows the bite. So let me know what you think. My ribs have always done well. But I think these are winners. Cheers
IMG_20150815_194149.jpg
IMG_20150815_194138.jpg
IMG_20150815_194157.jpg
IMG_20150815_194959.jpg

Oh fuck yes. That is all.

All that.

Would that be demerara? ... I've used cubes of that in cocktails before, and it's pretty exceptional compared to regular bagged brown sug ...

CHEERS!

Yup those look good! A little sweet for my taste but I'd dig in.

grantmichaels said:
Oh f**k yes. That is all.

All that.

Would that be demerara? ... I've used cubes of that in cocktails before, and it's pretty exceptional compared to regular bagged brown sug ...

CHEERS!
It was demerara !!! Move to the head of the class brother!!! :)

Since you asked for opinions... upon further inspection the fats didn't break down there's a pretty prominent white layer... or maybe the pic?

The Hot Pepper said:
Yup those look good! A little sweet for my taste but I'd dig in.
Thanks boss but these will spank your tastebuds!!! My rub has lots of heat and with SmokenFire's powder addition Yyyeeeeeehhhhhhaaaaaaaa will light up yer day nice sweet bite with perfect heat out back. Wish I could send you one!!! :)
grantmichaels said:
So much pink penetration ...
Had great smoke!! Cook was perfect. :)
The Hot Pepper said:
Since you asked for opinions... upon further inspection the fats didn't break down there's a pretty prominent white layer... or maybe the pic?
Was just the pic BOSS! :) the fat was perfectly rendered but my camera is my kindle! Hahaha sucks!! :)
grantmichaels said:
Oh f**k yes. That is all.

All that.

CHEERS!
Grant this had the best flavor!! Strong notes of molasses almost smoky real Carmel flavor absolutely fantastic.

Yeah cool the colors look a bit off some meat looks like fat I think.

I think you got this!

grantmichaels said:
So much pink penetration ...
Thanks again I find 230 deg gives me a perfect amount of time for good smoke penetration and a nice slow cook.
The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah cool the colors look a bit off some meat looks like fat I think.
I think you got this!
Thank You my friend!! :) I hope so I'll be buying a better camera if I win! Hahaha

I was just talking about it elsewhere, SF's powders have become my rubs.

I tried to get JHP to make rubs for at least a few years - I mean, I was happy to pay for that fresh CostCo turbinado and tellicherry without having to join CostCo, LOL ...

Anyways ... I just pick my De Roo now, and occasionally swap in Malcolm's Killer Hogz or a little Meat Church ... but that's about it.

Yum.

And I like sweet heat, so those ribs are perfect for me ...

grantmichaels said:
I was just talking about it elsewhere, SF's powders have become my rubs.

I tried to get JHP to make rubs for at least a few years - I mean, I was happy to pay for that fresh CostCo turbinado and tellicherry without having to join CostCo, LOL ...

Anyways ... I just pick my De Roo now, and occasionally swap in Malcolm's Killer Hogz or a little Meat Church ... but that's about it.

Yum.

And I like sweet heat, so those ribs are perfect for me ...
Yeah smoke's stuff rocks I've turned all my BBQ buddies on to it he's becoming darn popular in these here parts!
Also love Killer Hogz!! Malcolm is the Man! :)

oldsalty said:
Yeah smoke's stuff rocks I've turned all my BBQ buddies on to it he's becoming darn popular in these here parts!
Also love Killer Hogz!! Malcolm is the Man! :)

a tiny gesture towards supporting the videos, which I happen to love ...

sirex said:
Oh you got this competition in the bag salty!!!
Thanks sirex !!! :) felling pretty good!! Will still do at least 3 more batches before the competition.
My partner owns the butcher shop so he takes care of the supply and I do the cooking!! Works great!!
tctenten said:
Ribs look great OS. Really nice job. The sweet and heat were probably great together.
Thanks Tctenten!! These have a perfect balance am really happy will post my rub recipe after the comp.
hogleg said:
:woohoo: WINNER!!  :woohoo:

I'm not a big fan of sweet sauce like Boss. But when the sweet, heat, n' acid are in unison and balanced, you get pig candy.  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:
Hahaha hahaha hahaha Pig Candy! :ROFL: yup gotta bring that heat for that perfect rib. The sweet just adds that nice balance. When you first bite in sweet tomato and honey flavor with that punch from the Mexican brown sugar. Then boom the heat kicks in and wow these are really tasty my partners wife's a total chili head we had to practicality lock her outside so we could eat a few!!! Hahaha

Roguejim said:
If the judges aren't chile heads, then what? You might be gambling here.
Made these with a little more kick using some of SmokenFire's stardust sprinkle. Will tone it down a little for the comp. But here in the south they do like heat with their ribs. Just have to balance it right. Should hit with sweet and finish with heat! :)

Back