• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pickled and Canned Jalapeño Pepper Rings

Hello Everyone,

I have four Biker Billy Jalapeño plants with ripening fruit.  What to do with all those peppers?  Here is  a simple recipe for pepper rings that'll give you some shelf life using the water bathe.  As we all know, these are great on salads, sandwiches, nachos, etc.  I made ten 1/2 pint jars that will go onto my pantry shelf for enjoyment throughout the year.  This can be made without the sugar, carrots, onion and garlic, too. I like the sugar in this recipe as it adds a touch of sweet to the sour vinegar flavor.  You can choose to leave it out, if preferred.  Feel free to expand the recipe as you like!  Add your favorite spices, too!  The simplist and most pure method is to use just the peppers and brine, and they'll still taste good!

Ingredients:

30 ripe Jalapeño Peppers, sliced
3 Carrots, sliced (optional)
1 Sweet Onion, cut in half and sliced (optional)
1 Garlic Clove per jar (optional)
1 Teaspoon Pickling Salt
Favorite Spices (optional)
3 cups of 5% - 7% White Vinegar
1-Cup Water
1 T Sugar

Method:

• Sterilize everything - Cutting board, knives, bowls, spoons, jars, lids and bands and set in clean workspace, reserved as the sanitation station.  This can be accomplished by using a dishwasher or a product like Star San.  The good thing about a dishwasher is the jars will already be warm when you pour the hot brine into them.  I started the dishwasher and then proceeded to cut everything
  • Rinse and slice peppers, carrots and onion into rings
  • Simmer water, vinegar, salt and sugar until salt and sugar are dissolved.  My wife made the brine.  She prepared two batches of brine to cover the peppers in the 10 jars
  • Spoon peppers into jar, pressing with the spoon to get as many peppers into the jar as possible
  • Fill jar with simmering brine to an 1/8 inch from top
  • Use a butter knife and run along sides of jar to remove any air bubbles in the jar
  • Place lids and bands on jar and tighten
  • Using canning equipment, boil jars in water bathe for 10 minutes, remove to counter and allow the tops to "pop" and the jars to cool
  • For best results, wait 4-6 weeks to cure the peppers
  • Yields ten ½ pint jars

Enjoy!

Jim

dT98qSjl.jpg
m0nClcCl.jpg

fQTOrG1l.jpg
MOGy7e9l.jpg

This is a great recipe.  How many cups vinegar did you use?

If a person has room in the fridge, this can also be done as a cold-pack.  just let the brine cool, and keep the jars refrigerated.  The veggies are crispier than when hot packed, but then again, they have to be refrigerated. 

Thanks for weighing in everyone!  @Ann - I have edited my post a few times, realizing I forgot to add the number of cups of vinegar.  The above should now be the "gold copy" of the recipe.  Thank you for pointing out the missing quantity!  Grant, I appreciate your post.  @SL3, I almost said sweet and sour! haha, but it's not that sweet.  So, I worded it a little differently.  It has just the slightest hint of sweet. Reduce the sugar or omit altogether.  As you know, many companies make bank on that "s & s" flavor profile and people just love it.  Give it a try! :-)

Jim

Hi and thanks for that recipe- I have made something simillar but with some other peppers. I find the hardest thing about is the 4 weeks waiting time :) Its now almost time to make some more. and to wait.

Ulrich - glad you liked it. The curing time is killer. I've been known to pop one to hold me over!

Carlton - you forgot? Haha. That is a nice mod to the recipe to add shallots! Will have to try it -- I have small raised beds and got maybe 1/2 doz. garlic. My shallots sucked too. Gonna do better with both next year.

Thanks for checking in!

Jim

Nice recipe. Recently I've found a certain love for pickled jalapenos. Had a burger the other day with fresh jalapenos but it just wasn't the same as pickled. I'll have to try this recipe

Jim,

Have you experimented using other vegatables in the mix?  After looking at your pics, it reminds me of that recipe for Picklese.  In that thread, they used cabbage and peas.  So, maybe not the cabbage but if you added peas with the carrots, that could be a good thing?

bpiela said:
Jim,

Have you experimented using other vegatables in the mix?  After looking at your pics, it reminds me of that recipe for Picklese.

You could put whatever. The recipe above is actually called jalapenos escabeche and carrots and onions are the classic Mexican ingredients. There's also the Italian giardinera with carrots and cauliflower. Then yes, pikleze, and others.

So you can really put whatever you want but I'd use firm/crisp veg.

I went to pick up my CSA farm share yesterday and there was a big box of jalapenos next to a big box of little broccoli heads and a sign that read, "Bonus- take as much as you will use." I took a few red and green ones then I asked the distributor if many peeps take the peppers. He said no sooooo I asked if I could come back before they shut down and take any that may be left off of his hands. 2 hours later.... 2 20 pound bags were on the way home with me! (and about 40 pounds of heirloom tomatoes but that is another post at another time!)

Found this thread and I am about to make both cold and hot packed peppers using this recipe, so TYVM chiltepin for posting it.

I made the pikleze 2 days ago and cannot wait to try it soon.

Does anyone have a fool proof (I'm the fool and I have the proof) jalapeno JELLY recipe? I'm sure there are some here, but I really do not want to experiment too much the first time.

Thanks.

Clashole said:
I went to pick up my CSA farm share yesterday and there was a big box of jalapenos next to a big box of little broccoli heads and a sign that read, "Bonus- take as much as you will use." I took a few red and green ones then I asked the distributor if many peeps take the peppers. He said no sooooo I asked if I could come back before they shut down and take any that may be left off of his hands. 2 hours later.... 2 20 pound bags were on the way home with me! (and about 40 pounds of heirloom tomatoes but that is another post at another time!)

Found this thread and I am about to make both cold and hot packed peppers using this recipe, so TYVM chiltepin for posting it.

I made the pikleze 2 days ago and cannot wait to try it soon.

Does anyone have a fool proof (I'm the fool and I have the proof) jalapeno JELLY recipe? I'm sure there are some here, but I really do not want to experiment too much the first time.

Thanks.

:cheers: for you!  What an awesome score! 

For the jelly, most pectin boxes/packets/whatever have some kind of a pepper jelly recipe in their instruction.  Personally, I don't care for green peppers in a fruit jelly.  Adding some ripe chiles to any kind of fruit jelly is YUMMY!  But that's just my personal preference.  There's a lot of pepper jellies/jams on the market using green jalapenos.

OH!!!!  and if you are looking for something totally unique.... look up candied peppers!!!!!  Way FUN!!!...  There's a thread around here somewhere, but I can't remember if it's candied habaneros, candied peppers, candied jalapenos????  And that recipe does work with green jalapenos. 

Have FUn!!!

Thanks for the advice. Candied hot peppers?!! This new world is expanding exponentially. I thought it couldn't get any crazier than the Jalepeno seltzer water that I found!! The pepper haul was a pretty good find. About 33% of them are red and there are an even fewer amount that are turning green to red. Most of them have "corking" so none of the sales outlets wanted them. they prefer "perfect" produce to sell. LOL. I will take your suggestion and use the red ones for the jelly then after I get the pectin. I do not want to hijack this post so I will start a new one once I have news/pics about the success or failure. once again OP thank you so much for the thread.

salsalady said:

:cheers: for you!  What an awesome score! 

For the jelly, most pectin boxes/packets/whatever have some kind of a pepper jelly recipe in their instruction.  Personally, I don't care for green peppers in a fruit jelly.  Adding some ripe chiles to any kind of fruit jelly is YUMMY!  But that's just my personal preference.  There's a lot of pepper jellies/jams on the market using green jalapenos.

OH!!!!  and if you are looking for something totally unique.... look up candied peppers!!!!!  Way FUN!!!...  There's a thread around here somewhere, but I can't remember if it's candied habaneros, candied peppers, candied jalapenos????  And that recipe does work with green jalapenos. 

Have FUn!!!
i believe they are called cowboy candy

salsalady said:
here's a link - This is the recipe I used.

geeme's done this recipe one step further by laying the candied peppers out on a baking sheet and lightly baking them until crispy.

rewine and actually post a link. :D

Back