Ozzy's All Grain on deck

Still a few more things I need to do before I'm ready for my first AG batch, but I scratched one of them off tonight by putting together my mash tun.
10g Lowes Igloo with a false bottom I got from Northern Brewer.

I have my corona mill as well but I still need to make the necessary adjustments to it so it will be ready to use. Only things left to do are get a bigger kettle, run my recipes through Beersmith, and go get/order the ingredients.

If I had the time, I would give it a try. I have peppers and tomatoes rotting on the plants because I just do not have the time to process all of them. THP is to blame for my success. The improvements I made to last years grow has provided a bumper crop so far. I still think I will give it a try after their growing season.

I've brewed myself out of cold storage =)

I'm going to sacrifice that open-fermented wild saison to use to learn the beergun, and to make an empty freezer slot/keg for brewing wheebz stout recipe ...

Otherwise, I can only brew saisons and ferm in the room, out of cold storage, lol ...

I need to get drunk on it, that's what I really need to do ... haha.

tctenten said:
If I had the time, I would give it a try. I have peppers and tomatoes rotting on the plants because I just do not have the time to process all of them. THP is to blame for my success. The improvements I made to last years grow has provided a bumper crop so far. I still think I will give it a try after their growing season.
Lol hear ya. I have a bucket full of peppers I need to cut up and put in the freezer. I think I may actually make some jelly in the next day or so with the fresh blackberries we have. I finally processed my hot sauce last night. I had a bunch of tomoatos I had to throw out because I didn't get around to making the salsa I planned to make.
grantmichaels said:
I've brewed myself out of cold storage =)

I'm going to sacrifice that open-fermented wild saison to use to learn the beergun, and to make an empty freezer slot/keg for brewing wheebz stout recipe ...

Otherwise, I can only brew saisons and ferm in the room, out of cold storage, lol ...

I need to get drunk on it, that's what I really need to do ... haha.
Hell yeah drink up brotha. I'm sitting here drinking some of mine now.

I can tell you I won't be performing heroics to save any plants or pods ...

I don't even know if I'm going to pot up, lol ...

I'm thinking about getting a fence post hole maker thing, and popping them along my back fence and letting nature take the reins ... haha ...

Ozzy2001 said:
I have my corona mill as well but I still need to make the necessary adjustments to it so it will be ready to use. Only things left to do are get a bigger kettle, run my recipes through Beersmith, and go get/order the ingredients.

Can you shed some additional light on the corona mill adjustments? ...

I need to switch to ordering my grains whole ASAP.

Planning to break down orders into fractional vac packs of whole grains upon arrival, and I'm planning to use a Corona Mill to process them the day before brewing.

I'm planning to update my pre-game the day before to include preparing the grist and pre-loading the kettle w/ filtered water and finally cleaning and sanitizing the fermenter-corny and pre-loading it w/ a little CO2 and placing it in the ferm chamber to pre-cool it to like 65F for brew day ... along with making the starter, of course.

That way, brew day will just be the actual brewing, and then back-flushing the plate chiller and pump back into the kettle to let it soak overnight ... and then doing the CIP the next morning.

That's my plan, anyways ...

Anyways, that was a helluva tangent ...

Can you shed some additional light on the corona mill adjustments? =)

I thought I could just buy the one w/ the taller-walled gathering basket? No? ...

Mostly just setting it up so I can hook one of my drills to it, plus rigging up the hopper to accept more grain. Then finally a way to catch more grain shooting out of it without losing to much on the ground.

Ozzy2001 said:
Mostly just setting it up so I can hook one of my drills to it, plus rigging up the hopper to accept more grain. Then finally a way to catch more grain shooting out of it without losing to much on the ground.

I see ...

I'm planning to just grind it manually ...

Maybe I won't continue that plan after the 1st time, but, LOL ....

Haha ..

grantmichaels said:

I see ...

I'm planning to just grind it manually ...

Maybe I won't continue that plan after the 1st time, but, LOL ....

Haha ..
I already have all the different drills so o figure why not. I will only use a low speed though because I've read of some people having problems because their drill goes too fast and tears up stuff more than crushing it.

Ozzy2001 said:
I already have all the different drills so o figure why not. I will only use a low speed though because I've read of some people having problems because their drill goes too fast and tears up stuff more than crushing it.

I just need the exercise, lol ...

I hope to not order any additional pre-milled grain after this past order ...

I'm going to move to whole grain and using a Corona mill, and vacuum sealing my remnants/leftovers ASAP ...

I've been using grains that have been a couple of months pre-milled by the time I've brewed w/ them ...

Assuming everything arives by Friday, I should be able to brew my first batch this weekend. Just have to throw a counter flow chiller together. If I am able to start this weekend it will be a Dbl Choc stout. I won't have all the ingredients for the other recipes I want to make.

On a seperate note, I read that it's not necessary to make a starter with dry yeast if you rehydrate it properly. Is that true? I'll probably be using two packets of dry Nottingham yeast for the Dbl choc so I'm trying to plan ahead. I can't wait to get another brew going. For my brew kettle I ended up just cleaning up a 7.5 gal turkey fryer pot I had only used once. So I still have the burner and everything I will use with it. I will also have to grab some fermcap to keep the bubbling down since the kettle will be pretty maxed out.

:cool:

There's more than one reason to make a starter using dry yeast ... beyond increasing the count, there's the additional purpose of getting the yeasties in prime condition to work ... which I believe is extra important when you are going to drop them in a high-gravity wort.

FWIW, I held off on my brew day yesterday *BECAUSE* I didn't read my instructions carefully in this very regard.

I was instructed to make a starter for the US-05, which I didn't realize, and opted not to pitch dry or use two packets - since I'm making a high-gravity stout.

I have to say, I think I'm making starters for everything going forward ...

The worst part of brewing is when you have a mess left to deal with, your tired, AND your airlock's not showing fermentation =(

:cheers:

Totally agree. Not much worse than paying the money for the stuff, planning and working on it, then having it stall out. Especially when it's something simple, such as a starter.

I've paid a price for every corner that I've cut - and my least favorite batch to date is the no-chill/open-ferment batch.

The Charliewine batch took the 2nd pitch of Wyeast 1099 because my WLP007 starter sat an extra day and was 72 hrs from inception - which is too long ...

I haven't gotten away with cutting a single corner, yet, so I'm not even trying to cut them anymore ...

Saving the short-cuts for my food cooking, and trying to brew correctly =) ...

Sunday should be brew day for the dbl choc stout. I just put my counter flow wort chiller together tonight. Really pretty simple.

I'm also going to go over to STL Saturday and grab some yeast and Thomas Fawcett Amber for my DFH 90 min clone. That will hopefully be over Labor Day weekend. I have a Fantasy Football draft I'm hosting tomorrow night. Can't wait for that. Saturday I also have to work on one of my apartments and show it to some people to get it rented out. Then Sunday Funday.

Back