• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Water bath canning in bottles?

I have not used those bottles, though I love Fillmore Container.  I use hot fill/hold method for my sauces and have done enough canning to prefer the hot fill/hold method.  Not discouraging you by any means though!  If you end up going that route please be sure to post back with your experiences.  :)

A lot of people use those bottles, the key difference is the lid.  For normal hot fill hold, most people use plasic lids.  In the video, she is using metal lids which can be BWB processed.  Nice option! 

I thought it would be a good option, And for me it just seems a little safer then the hot fill hold even when knowing the PH is low enough. I went ahead and ordered some bottles and lids and will give them a try with my next sauce.

Ann nailed it. Thanks!

We do a lot of hot water bath canning and the diff is plastic woozy caps and restricters versus metal caps that the video uses. BTW her instruction is spot on for water bath demo in that video. So if the newer wide-mouth woozie have metal lids this method in the video will add greatly to the end product regarding shelf life etc.

From what I read and the video, and email exchanges with Fillmore container, just make sure your bottles are continuous thread and you use the continuous thread plasticsol lined lids, The bottles I ordered are here and I'll have time to make my hot sauce  Labor Day weekend so I'll let everyone know how it works out.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Most excellent, I think I am going to order some of those jars for pickles Thai peppers! Thanks for the video and link. 

yea I use the normal size woozies from them never used the wide mouth but I use the plastic lids. I boil the bottle, remove bottle from water, pour in boiling hot sauce, cap and invert bottle. Let sit for a few minutes and turn back over. When I open bottle for first use they hiss. 

miacova said:
From what I read and the video, and email exchanges with Fillmore container, just make sure your bottles are continuous thread and you use the continuous thread plasticsol lined lids, The bottles I ordered are here and I'll have time to make my hot sauce  Labor Day weekend so I'll let everyone know how it works out.

I ordered today and mine will be here tomorrow. :) I ordered CT metal so I can can :) 

One other thing about the bottles, In one of the youtube videos she mentioned the bottles did not stand up very well on her WBC  wire rack so she used the canning plate from her pressure cooker so the bottles would be stable. I do not have a pressure cooker so I just made a ghetto canning plate from a .88 cent cake pan from wally world. It pretty much fills the WBC wire rack, hopefully it keeps the little 5 ounce bottles from falling over.

gettopan.jpg
[/URL][/img]

miacova said:
One other thing about the bottles, In one of the youtube videos she mentioned the bottles did not stand up very well on her WBC  wire rack so she used the canning plate from her pressure cooker so the bottles would be stable. I do not have a pressure cooker so I just made a ghetto canning plate from a .88 cent cake pan from wally world. It pretty much fills the WBC wire rack, hopefully it keeps the little 5 ounce bottles from falling over.

gettopan.jpg
[/img]
Would you like to borrow a drill?? Snicker snicker :evil:

LOL I did use a drill, that cake pans not much thicker than aluminum foil, then ad to that the bit was dull, and left metal burrs that I just tried to hammer flat.  Yeah' it's ugly but as long as it does what I want it to I don't care what it looks like. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

oldsalty said:
Would you like to borrow a drill?? Snicker snicker :evil:

miacova said:
LOL I did use a drill, that cake pans not much thicker than aluminum foil, then ad to that the bit was dull, and left metal burrs that I just tried to hammer flat.  Yeah' it's ugly but as long as it does what I want it to I don't care what it looks like. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I'm with you there!  When doing some smoked chiles, I used a tin foil pan and went to town with a screwdriver to make a buttload of holes in the foil pan prior to going into the smoker.  It worked like a charm!  :LOL:

Back