• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

When to wash produce

Much history at farmers markets, but shipping is new.  So when someone advised I not wash peppers before I ship, I looked into it a bit.  I was kind of shocked at what I found.  The FDA advises produce not be washed until immediately before it is cooked or consumed. I was shocked because at many grocery stores the produce is not only washed ahead of time, but it is constantly sprayed.  Could it be grocery stores know something that the fda does not?

I -think- the spray in the grocery store has a wax in it.  Could it be the spray seals the pours in the produce and protects it more than cleaning it?

I think it depends on the source/grower.
Example-
I use a canola oil and a soap mix due to mite problems.
I don't wash my pods until I use them(fresh or for drying).

I do find the Canola oil screws up with when I dry out the same pods in the dehydrator-oil...off taste-without washing..

Now I use a cool soap,or commercial vegetable wash to wash my pods off FROM the plant.

Canola oil can get off/nasty tasting in my dehydrator.

At least I think that it is why I get off tastes without washing pods.
I don't use pesticides etc.,my ferts. are organic etc.
I buy good guys to eat the bad guys-no poisons,organic or otherwise.

I'd guess it depends on what your pods were treated with .

I think it is well worth being cautious rather than not...

I'd be cautious on not whashing off waxes and other stuff out there on market stuff.
Better safe than sorry.

Wash everything!

Rymerpt said:
I think the stores spray to keep them fresh looking

This, they spray them to keep the leafy greens form shriveling up to grossness. (though I hate buying soaking wet veggies)

Washing peppers or even picking them right after a rain or watering and then shipping them can leave too much moisture in the stem/calyx and cause mold in-transit.  At least that was what was told to me about shipping them...I think the FDA recognizes that it is the consumer's responsibility to wash their food before they use it.  I grow organically so I never use pesticides but you never know what could be lurking as far as biological concerns.

Even if the grower was required to wash the produce first (and run the risk of it molding during shipping) would you really actually eat it without washing it? 

Helvete, I can confirm what you said about shipping peppers and admit that after a couple of complaints I stopped getting up with the sun to pick and pack.  Peppers still wet from dew do not travel well.  You live, you learn, you improve.

D3Monic - Have you ever been right there when the sprayer clicks on?  I hate buying vegies when I am soaking wet.  Wonder how much weight is lost when they do not spray and how much is gained when they do.  Hmmmmm.....

Rymerpt said:
I think the stores spray to keep them fresh looking
I am sure that is why.  Thing is, it is the opposite of what the FDA page said.  I think what they were getting at is that the moisture penetrates the produce and can bring contaminants with it.  So spraying them to keep them attractive might increase the risk of food related illness, unless of course what they are spraying them with has some sort of anti bacterial substance in it.  Now I am wondering what I am eating when I buy food at the grocery.

Back