• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review I Review 'Dia Del Perro' By Lucky Dog

Hey super entertaining review, thanks!

You pretty well nailed it - the alderwood is a very sneaky smoke - it dominates the aroma, but on the palate it's more of an aftertaste.

The sweetness comes from the apple & carrot - I used them to balance the extreme acidity of the tomatillo.

And your pronunciation was soooooo close! Taqueria: [taco-ree-ah] a place where tacos (and Mexican food) are made.
:cheers:

I like the white fish idea for sure and I've had it on fish tacos as recently as yesterday. I think you'll find it best pairs with base/savory foods due to the acidity of the tomatillo. Drizzle a little on chile con carne or in a sweet & savory squash soup to get little pops of acidity. Or use on pizza or pasta - the sweet tomato marinara is a perfect vehicle as the tomatillos will add the one missing note.

Not my most versatile sauce, but I do love the way the ingredients play - there weren't a lot of complex tomatillo sauces on the market so i wanted to challenge myself to put one out that was layered and interesting. So I layered the flavor a with alderwood smoke, toasted onion & roasted garlic, and layered the heat with the Serrano, tepin & habanero-infused salt. They all burn in different ways - I think you'll find that on food, after 4-5 bites that hab salt will leave your lips sizzling a little. But yeah - to a chilehead this is a "high mild" where to the average consumer it's a low medium.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on Pink & Black - I think they're my two most out of the box sauces.

Thanks again for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the sauce!
:cheers:

Back