• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Why/When did you start growing peppers?

About 2 years ago I went to lowes and bought a bunch of plants... Out of the 25 that I bought, only 1 plant survived, a Jalapeno plant. This year, after I tried jalapeno I looked it up on the scoville scale, at that moment I didn't know there was more than one type of pepper... I always thought it was all just Jalapeno. Yeah, I know, stupid. After seeing that there are numerous varieties I decided to grow more. That's about it.. Why did you start? When?

2001 for me.  I have always liked hot stuff.  I was same as you started with jalapeno, then worked to habanero then, to all the other various chinense varieties back then where weren't many compared to today.  Then took years 2007 - 2012 virtually off, then started back in 2013 with purchased plants and then full bore again last year with starting my own seeds again.

I am surprised that you live in Florida and yet were so uninformed about chile varieties. I grew up in TX and have eaten chiles since I was a child. I only started growing them, however, after moving here to OH. The grocery store chiles were often pathetic - not only limited in availability, but also often quite moldy. My first grow of chiles was 2009, the year I joined THP. It's been a learning experience. Not just to growing chiles, but how to grow anything, given the huge weather difference. I was so used to just putting seeds in the ground in early spring and things coming up. Here there's too much snow and cold in early spring, so everything gets started indoors. Bleh. I am counting down to being able to move out of here, back in a more southerly direction.

When my wife became prego with my boy back in 2001 I got the cravings. I craved heat and salt. Weird ? Oh well. The hottest I could find anywhere was Daves insanity that I would put in cup o noodles. I sought and sought and found nothing. Even the Thai restuarants could not burn me. I sought a "chilihead" club locally and stumbled on to THP. I was gifted free seeds and have been like a crack addict sence.

MY NAME IS RYMERPT I AM A CHILIHEAD

PEPPER PEOPLE ROCK

geeme said:
I am surprised that you live in Florida and yet were so uninformed about chile varieties. I grew up in TX and have eaten chiles since I was a child. I only started growing them, however, after moving here to OH. The grocery store chiles were often pathetic - not only limited in availability, but also often quite moldy. My first grow of chiles was 2009, the year I joined THP. It's been a learning experience. Not just to growing chiles, but how to grow anything, given the huge weather difference. I was so used to just putting seeds in the ground in early spring and things coming up. Here there's too much snow and cold in early spring, so everything gets started indoors. Bleh. I am counting down to being able to move out of here, back in a more southerly direction.
I was actually born and raised in Washington State, I moved to Florida about 4 years ago.

Back