• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Woozy Bottle Questions

So I made my first batch of Jalapeño hot sauce this weekend and it turned out great!  Just wondering a couple questions;
1.  Can you sterilize woozies several days before filling them and keep them sterile?
2.  Does anyone have a source for 5oz woozies cheaper than Amazon?  I paid roughly $1.33 each for them on Amazon.
3. Related question...DOes anyone know of a good Ph tester on Amazon that can test at higher temps?  Seems like someone showed me one once and I forgot what brand it was.  

Thanks guys and looking forward to making more sauce!!!
Sauce_zpsqu9vvtqg.jpg

I just saw some cheaper ones for $1.02 on Amazon.  Getting cheaper.

If you haven't already, check out Making hot Sauce 101, some of these things are discussed and linked there.

You can pre-sterilize using any of the methods discussed in HS101, just cover the bottles to keep them clean, or if using the Oven method, just keep them in the (not-ON) oven until needed.  

Maybe someone can direct you to the specific pH meter you are thinking of.  Otherwise, do some research on some Lab Supply websites, including the HannaChecker site, to find the model that works with high temp foods, then see if it's offered on A-z.

Bottle websites are linked in HS101.  

Have Fun!  Your first sauce looks good~

SL

salsalady said:
If you haven't already, check out Making hot Sauce 101, some of these things are discussed and linked there.

You can pre-sterilize using any of the methods discussed in HS101, just cover the bottles to keep them clean, or if using the Oven method, just keep them in the (not-ON) oven until needed.  

Maybe someone can direct you to the specific pH meter you are thinking of.  Otherwise, do some research on some Lab Supply websites, including the HannaChecker site, to find the model that works with high temp foods, then see if it's offered on A-z.

Bottle websites are linked in HS101.  

Have Fun!  Your first sauce looks good~

SL

Thanks!

cayenneman said:
So I made my first batch of Jalapeño hot sauce this weekend and it turned out great!  Just wondering a couple questions;
1.  Can you sterilize woozies several days before filling them and keep them sterile?
2.  Does anyone have a source for 5oz woozies cheaper than Amazon?  I paid roughly $1.33 each for them on Amazon.
3. Related question...DOes anyone know of a good Ph tester on Amazon that can test at higher temps?  Seems like someone showed me one once and I forgot what brand it was.  

Thanks guys and looking forward to making more sauce!!!
Sauce_zpsqu9vvtqg.jpg

I just saw some cheaper ones for $1.02 on Amazon.  Getting cheaper.
Try Fillmore containers. I just received my order of 5 cases (60 bottles) plus lids and shrink bands for $50 including shipping.

Cayenneman,

On the pH meter, search is your friend.  I bought an HM Digital PH-200 mainly because of the temp range at the high end; but there are plenty cheaper ones that are very very good.Here is a thread that had a lot of good suggestions. 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/49732-recommend-a-ph-meter/?hl=%2Bph+%2Bmeters#entry1046621

Many people posted their personal favorites including your host THP and others like JHP and many others who know a lot about the subject.  Be sure to order the PH 4 and PH 7 calibrating solutions and if the sensor needs to rest in fluid, be sure to order the electrode storing solution.

Good looking Sauce!  Any chance you would share the recipe?  I have tons of Japs.  If it is a family secret recipe, not a problem. Great color on your sauce.  I just posted a recipe for everyone on how to water bath and can Jalapeno rings.

Again, here is what I use for pH Tester that has a range to 176°. HM Digital Model HM-200  http://www.amazon.com/PH-200-Digital-Professional-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B00132G102

PfTjckjl.jpg

Also keep on eye out when in the Dollar stores -- you can sometimes come across product in the woozie bottles cheaper than the empty bottles - then just empty them and sterilize.
For example Dollar Tree carries these : (though they are 10 oz. rather than 5oz.)
Capture_zpsdbjakbd0.png

and sometimes the off brands are 2 for $1 so the bottles only cost you $0.50 each and a simple soak in hot water removes the label pretty easily !

Also if there are any restaurants in your area that have woozie bottles filled with product on their tables check with the manager and see what they do with the empties when they combine them at the end of the day. - sometimes you can talk them into saving some for you for a bottle or 2 of sauce when you make it !

Specialty Bottle has a distribution center in (Tennesee???) or somewhere in Central USA, so shipping to central and east coast is a lot better than it used to be.  Maybe not as good as Freund for east coast customers~ 

Just gotta check 'em out.

I just purchased 336 Bottles, orifices, 400 black lids, shrink wraps for $240 including shipping at fillmorecontainer.com

That equates to .71 a bottle with all the accessories.

They also sell the type of funnel that has a "dent" in the side that allows air to escape so as to keep a vacuum from forming while filling the bottles (which then makes you lift up your dentless funnel and spill sauce everywhere, -oh unhappy day formerly):

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Mini-Stainless-Steel-Funnel-P6023.aspx?c=0

chiltepin said:
Cayenneman,

On the pH meter, search is your friend.  I bought an HM Digital PH-200 mainly because of the temp range at the high end; but there are plenty cheaper ones that are very very good.Here is a thread that had a lot of good suggestions. 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/49732-recommend-a-ph-meter/?hl=%2Bph+%2Bmeters#entry1046621

Many people posted their personal favorites including your host THP and others like JHP and many others who know a lot about the subject.  Be sure to order the PH 4 and PH 7 calibrating solutions and if the sensor needs to rest in fluid, be sure to order the electrode storing solution.

Good looking Sauce!  Any chance you would share the recipe?  I have tons of Japs.  If it is a family secret recipe, not a problem. Great color on your sauce.  I just posted a recipe for everyone on how to water bath and can Jalapeno rings.

Again, here is what I use for pH Tester that has a range to 176°. HM Digital Model HM-200  http://www.amazon.com/PH-200-Digital-Professional-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B00132G102

PfTjckjl.jpg
Here is the recipe I used...basically.  I didn't do it note for note.  I didn't add as much water or lime juice.  I actually did the recipe times seven, so I smoked the jalapeños in hickory smoke and added more than 12 per recipe.  I roasted the onion for sweetness.  I added a bit more garlic then the recipe says as well.  Blended, simmered and bottled.  Its very vinegary, kinda like Tabasco.  You get the smoke, citrus and sweet notes.  Not very hot though.  Kind of a delayed mild heat.  All in all not a bad first effort though.  Thanks!

Jalapeno
12 fresh jalapenos
1 med onion
2 cups distilled vinegar
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves
salt
lime juice

Yes, and those would likely work to do a Hot Fill/ Hold processing if the sauce has a good pH.  It says they have a silicon seal.  Might need to check with the mfg, but I'm pretty sure those can be hot packed to be shelf stable.  Check out Making Hot Sauce 101 for detailed instructions.

Back