• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying My goal is to make ridiculously hot beef jerky

I've made approximately 20 batches so far. And what I've found out is that no matter how hot I make my marinade, the heat never really transfers to the meat. The only really hot batch that I've made so far was when I dehydrated habaneros and put the powder into the marinade. Now I have dehydrated Bhut Jolokias and my plan is to put them in the marinade.

Do you have any recommendations for really hot beef jerky?

I've had wicked mike's jerky and his is decently spicy, maybe PM him. But id also go with what these guys are saying, hit it with some powpow when its dry after the marinade then put it in the dehydrator. Unless you inject it, I don't really see capsaicin penetrating too far into meat. it's soluble in fat, which you don't want on your meat when you dehydrate anyways 

I have made several batches of insanely hot jerky, once I used Cajohn's Black Mamba in my marinade, the other was even hotter with the only use of The Source that I considered productive. There are many MANY ways to make ridiculously hot jerky. I do not recommend the two I used. Make a good marinade with some fresh or powdered supers of your liking and give them a good 24-48 hour soak.

I make jerky.

My SO has dry cracked skin and I make a certain variety she can't even pick up without burning her fingers.

I marinade in my hot sauce with salt and cracked black pepper.. To me though the flavor never REALLY pops, because I'm used to my fresh hot sauce. To others though, they love it.

So I marinade in my hot sauce then I use this 7 pot seasoning salt I got from Saldalady. I dust the meat after I've laid it out on the dehydrator before I turn it on.

Another one I mix one teaspoon of any superhot powder I have with a cup of dark brown sugar, a tablespoon salt, tablespoon and a half of cracked black pepper, tablespoon of onion powder, tablespoon of garlic powder. Basically a quick rib rub. Then dust it on before I dehydrate after the meat is laid out on the trays.

I usually make 4 kinds.

Regular which is just soaked in any of my marinades.

Then the 7 pot hot one.

Then the sweet hot ( rib rub ).

And a cracked black pepper where I put cracked black pepper and salt on.

Try powdering generously with straight super powder if you are trying to blow peoples ears off.

****"* But beware. Without a balance of flavor, it prob won't be that great in my opinion. I like heat but I don't want to sacrifice flavor for it.

Play around with it. You'll find something that works. I know you will!

Good luck!!!

I didn't mention, I always use soy sauce in my marinade to give it the salt, and if I am using the dehydrator and not the smoker, I also use hickory smoked salt.

I've had Cajohns jerky that a friend brought back from a show. It was marinaded with an extract in it. It was nice and sweet little heat from the first little piece I had then by the third it caught up and I was in serious need for a dozen beers but quietly walked away as to alert people I was in distress   :shh:  :rofl:

sirex said:
I make jerky.

My SO has dry cracked skin and I make a certain variety she can't even pick up without burning her fingers.

I marinade in my hot sauce with salt and cracked black pepper.. To me though the flavor never REALLY pops, because I'm used to my fresh hot sauce. To others though, they love it.

So I marinade in my hot sauce then I use this 7 pot seasoning salt I got from Saldalady. I dust the meat after I've laid it out on the dehydrator before I turn it on.

Another one I mix one teaspoon of any superhot powder I have with a cup of dark brown sugar, a tablespoon salt, tablespoon and a half of cracked black pepper, tablespoon of onion powder, tablespoon of garlic powder. Basically a quick rib rub. Then dust it on before I dehydrate after the meat is laid out on the trays.

I usually make 4 kinds.

Regular which is just soaked in any of my marinades.

Then the 7 pot hot one.

Then the sweet hot ( rib rub ).

And a cracked black pepper where I put cracked black pepper and salt on.

Try powdering generously with straight super powder if you are trying to blow peoples ears off.

****"* But beware. Without a balance of flavor, it prob won't be that great in my opinion. I like heat but I don't want to sacrifice flavor for it.

Play around with it. You'll find something that works. I know you will!

Good luck!!!

excellent post - great information!

I agree Chris there are plenty of peppers that wiil give you WOW factor without have Gastro intestinal cramping like extracts. There is a guy that goes to camper shows and fairs that sells jerky and he has on that has Scorpion peppers and Ghost peppers both are really good but $$$

LUCKYDOG said:
both are really good but $$$

The costs have been the main thing making me shy away from jerky.  I've got some great recipes, but I use flank steak or better and usually I'm paying like $6 per pound for the meat.  Add in the spices/marinades/my time making it and how much weight is lost during dehydration and I end up needing about $1.99 per ounce to make even a little bit of money.  When my cost of goods sold is north of 50% on any product I tend to drop it till economy of scale can bring margins to acceptable levels.  :)

SmokenFire said:

The costs have been the main thing making me shy away from jerky.  I've got some great recipes, but I use flank steak or better and usually I'm paying like $6 per pound for the meat.  Add in the spices/marinades/my time making it and how much weight is lost during dehydration and I end up needing about $1.99 per ounce to make even a little bit of money.  When my cost of goods sold is north of 50% on any product I tend to drop it till economy of scale can bring margins to acceptable levels.   :)
That right there is the reason I use venison for personal or give away consumption :)  All these fools made skirt and flank prices go through the roof!

I have been using eye of round roasts lately. Go to Sam's club is what we do. Last batch I got a 2 lb roast for 15$ at Sam's and had a return of 20 oz of jerky. Not horrible in my opinion.

sirex said:
I have been using eye of round roasts lately. Go to Sam's club is what we do. Last batch I got a 2 lb roast for 15$ at Sam's and had a return of 20 oz of jerky. Not horrible in my opinion.
That is really expensive honestly, 7.50 LB, I'd get a better cut for that when possible.

sirex said:

20 oz yield from 32oz start is quite good.  I usually see around half to a little less from whatever I start with.  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
That is really expensive honestly, 7.50 LB, I'd get a better cut for that when possible.
I agree. It was two something pounds.

I got cus my closest meat market, which is where I'd like to go, is farther than Sam's and we do family shopping there. So...dragging the two ankle biters and having the boss tell me what to do..seemed like the easiest thing to do.

Tell me, what do you think is better though? I know a lot of people use flank and skirt. What do you think is a better buy? I'm being sincere, not facetious. Because I'm always torn between what to get. The cheap ass London broil at the local sav-a-lot, some expensive flank from public etc. I know that a better starting product has a better finish product but I'm having to be as frugal as possible.

Thanks in advance guys. I look at you guys and your opinions cuz you know more!

I have a the tools to grind and make jerky but have not tried yet, has anyone gone that method?

I am no jerky expert but for me I like to use tender meat and not go with a cut that requires a long time when cooked. I do agree when sliced thin you can get away with top loin, sirloin, top round, skirt, flank and even london broil. I think I am going to try my stuff made for ground meat, molds for jerky. 

Back