• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How to tell when it's time to change T5 bulbs

I have used my T5s fixtures for 5 years now (without changing). I would say they run 7-8 hours a day for 3-4 months a year. The light (brightness) seems fine to me, but I'm sure my peppers feel different :) Can someone tell me how to tell when it's time to change the bulbs?

Ok, thanks. The reason I asked is that when I used T12s and T8s  they used to gradually (and noticeably) loose light output, which effected my plants growth. They became worthless long before they burnt out.

T5 bulbs can lose as much as 40% of their output within 18 months. This information is from my days of keeping reef aquariums where lighting is one of the major factors of success.

Do you need to replace them that often for growing plants? I can't say, as with an aquarium you need the light to penetrate the water which is much more difficult than air.

Yea I don't think it's as important in plants as aquaria. Pretty much just replace bulb when it goes out. At least in my opinion.... As little weight that has.

Each manufacturer gives an idea of operating hours. I've found it simple to mark the packaging of each bulb with rough run time (say 18/6 from March to September) and replace well before manufacturer specs (bearing in mind company literature is always "optimistic").

Waiting for the bulb to pop is... another way of doing it.

Most T5 fall between 20-30k operating hours. At 8 hours a day you aren't even close, especially as rated lifetime hours are based on much shorter cycles (on/off), giving reduced bulb life.

Back