• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

wanted: 7pod with the highest yield

Hello Guys,

i´m already planning for next years season. i manly focus on milder "chinense" peppers, to make the taste enjoyable for "non-chili-eaters". But for myself i need some very hot chili powder.

My space is limited so i can just grow two "7pod" varieties. My first one will be the "burgundy".  I have 20 liter pots for planting the chilis in.

Im in search for a 7 pod with extremely high yield and a good flavour. It should be a yellow or orange one, cause that is complementing best with the taste of my mild varieties (grenada seasoning, trinidad perfume, etc.).

A little bit of citrus flavour would be nice.

With highest yield i mean the weight of all fruits together not the amount.
I like my "Bhut Copenhagen" alot, flavourwise and by the numer of fruits. But the fruits have such a low weight :-(

It would be nice if you share some experiences with me :-) 

7pot burgundy has been my best producer so far. Only a few pods off the yellow brainstrain. Next in line is the 7pot white like joyner said. Large heavy pods. I haven't had a ripe one yet so can't comment on how they taste. 

If you haven't tried a Butch T Yellow Scorpion yet they are really tasty. I prefer them over 7pots. 

Tastewise the "white 7pod" should be fine fore me. I like the white "chinenses" taste (i tried "snow white"), so clean and a bit like vanilla.

But i heared the "white 7pod" should not be as hot as other "7pod" varieties, more like a habanero. ("7pod white" and "giant white habanero" are the same?)

Is that true? I think i really need a very hot one. My habanero powders always had a short life :-/.

Zackorz said:

But i heared the "white 7pod" should not be as hot as other "7pod" varieties, more like a habanero. ("7pod white" and "giant white habanero" are the same?)

That's debatable. Some people think they are the same thing, but others say they aren't. The person who sells the white 7 pods is honest, so I don't think she'd rename a habanero, but it is possible someone gave her the wrong seeds. I'd go for it, because white habaneros are still much hotter than the normal ones. I've been meaning to grow a white habanero and a white 7 pod to see if there are differences, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I had white 7 pot and white habanero last year.  For me the white 7 was at least twice as hot as the white hab.   My best producer 2 years in a row has been yellow brain strain.  Big thick walled pods and a lot of them.  Its also one of my favorite for taste.  No where near as hot as the red ones.   

I have picked a lot of pods like these off the 2 plants.  And one of them is loading up again, hope there is time for them to ripen.
IMG_20150804_163426938_zpsfngnoooy.jpg

IMG_20150722_211452895_zpsq8njxi32.jpg

@jcw10tc Brain Strain was among my favorites. Thick wall, big pod size and good yield. Seems interesting :-)

Judy sells something called 7pod yellow large that seems productive:
Another delicious 7 pod variety from Trinidad this is a very productive huge plant size pod is much bigger than the original strain thin walls crunchy very flavorful this is the most prolific Trinidad variety ever if you like super hot yellow powder this is what you should grow big plant needs a lot of space
http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-chinense/trinidad-large-7pod-yellow-detail

Looks cool though i dunno if it's ok to grow in pots, maybe you could ask to her (also it looks it's not available right now)...

Thank you for the infos. Its so incredibly hard to choose a superhot, if you have just the space for 1 variety -_- .

Wow thats a nasty one.  :confused:

Luckily i never had problems with caterpillars. The main problems here are snails and aphids.

When in doubt cut them in half that is what i say :party:   I have killed 3 or 4 this year,  I know there is at least one more around but i will be damned if i can find it.  

Well some other question:

Wha are your best varietes for making powder?

I made powder out of a red variety and of an orange one.  

The orange one lost a lot of her flavour by drying it. The red one was even better, sweeter and more flavourful as poweder.

Whats your experience with drying them?

What is happening with the taste of yellow and brown/black ones and burgundy when you dry them?

Zackorz said:
Well some other question:

Wha are your best varietes for making powder?

I made powder out of a red variety and of an orange one.  

The orange one lost a lot of her flavour by drying it. The red one was even better, sweeter and more flavourful as poweder.

Whats your experience with drying them?

What is happening with the taste of yellow and brown/black ones and burgundy when you dry them?
My favorite thing about yellow brain strain is the awesome powder it makes. I make more if that one than any other. 7 pot Jonah powder was great also and simmer 7 Pot brown also great.

jcw10tc said:
My favorite thing about yellow brain strain is the awesome powder it makes. I make more if that one than any other. 7 pot Jonah powder was great also and simmer 7 Pot brown also great.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with me :-)

Whould you go confirm with my experience, that "orange ones" are loosing the most of all varietes when you dry them?  Some experience with brown powders?

Back