• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Cast Iron Hot Sauce

Hello and greetings to everyone since I'm new :P . I just found this site and just made the Caribbean Red sauce by SRBII using Orange habaneros from my garden and it was fantastic. I'm also a cast iron cookware lover so that got me looking on my cast iron collectors site http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl for hot sauces and I came across this one that looks really good. There was no name posted for it so obviously......

[SIZE=24pt]Cast Iron Hot Sauce[/SIZE]

1 small Onion -- chopped
2-10 cloves Garlic -- chopped. I like garlic so I use more
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup chopped Carrots or 1 Cup carrot juice
2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Scotch Bonnet Habanera Peppers, 4 Serrano and 4 Jalepeno chopped
2 Red or Orange Bell Peppers
1 ea juice from Orange, Lemon and Lime
Zest from each to your liking
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Ginger
1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
1 Bunch of Cilantro
2 Tomatoes chopped

Welcome to The Hot Pepper from another cast iron collector (Griswold and Favorite Piqua Ware). Did you make your sauce in a skillet or Dutch oven? And with that amount of vinegar, your cast iron must be very well seasoned. I'd be afraid I'd get a metallic taste in the sauce.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Did it have the directions as well or just recipe? I am not a big oil fan in my sauce. 

Here is all that was said on this recipes posting.

"Depending on how hot you like your sauces, I've used a dozen Habenero's and left out the Jalepeno's and Serrano's. Place ingredients into a blender and mix to your liking until you get the desired texture and thickness of your sauce."

kentishman said:
Welcome to The Hot Pepper from another cast iron collector (Griswold and Favorite Piqua Ware). Did you make your sauce in a skillet or Dutch oven? And with that amount of vinegar, your cast iron must be very well seasoned. I'd be afraid I'd get a metallic taste in the sauce.

I haven't made this sauce yet, I just saw it on the WAGS forum and decided to share here. Yeah I wouldn't make this in cast iron for obvious reasons  :halo:. The posting of the recipe had no name for this sauce so I just named it Cast Iron Hot Sauce because of the Cast Iron forum where it came from. Sorry for any confusion.

I use a cast iron griddle for charring the peppers and garlic and such but use a large nonstick stock pot for making the sauce.

TemplarDroid said:

Here is all that was said on this recipes posting.

"Depending on how hot you like your sauces, I've used a dozen Habenero's and left out the Jalepeno's and Serrano's. Place ingredients into a blender and mix to your liking until you get the desired texture and thickness of your sauce."
Those are amazing directions and a perfect step through on  using CI for an amazing sauce.  :rolleyes:

BTW, welcome :) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Those are amazing directions and a perfect step through on  using CI for an amazing sauce.  :rolleyes:

BTW, welcome :)

The only thing that I would use the cast iron for is charring or sauteing the ingredients then transfer to a non reactive pan. Too much vinegar for the iron. Again sorry if the title was misleading. 

TemplarDroid said:

The only thing that I would use the cast iron for is charring or sauteing the ingredients then transfer to a non reactive pan. Too much vinegar for the iron. Again sorry if the title was misleading. 
Not your fault, hopefully the sarcasm came across hahaha. Yeah I would never treat my CI that wrongful by using that level of vinegar. 

TemplarDroid said:
Hello and greetings to everyone since I'm new :P . I just found this site and just made the Caribbean Red sauce by SRBII using Orange habaneros from my garden and it was fantastic. I'm also a cast iron cookware lover so that got me looking on my cast iron collectors site http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl for hot sauces and I came across this one that looks really good. There was no name posted for it so obviously......

[SIZE=24pt]Cast Iron Hot Sauce[/SIZE]

1 small Onion -- chopped
2-10 cloves Garlic -- chopped. I like garlic so I use more
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup chopped Carrots or 1 Cup carrot juice
2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Scotch Bonnet Habanera Peppers, 4 Serrano and 4 Jalepeno chopped
2 Red or Orange Bell Peppers
1 ea juice from Orange, Lemon and Lime
Zest from each to your liking
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Ginger
1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
1 Bunch of Cilantro
2 Tomatoes chopped
that sounds like my recipe lol

I just logged into my account, that is my recipe haha

FYI I have tons of well seasoned CI and even make spaghetti sauces, jambalaya, gumbo among other things in them. I also have enameled CI that I also use. I have yet to have my seasoned CI have any problems with my sauces. But if you are not comfortable doing it in a seasoned CI Dutch Oven them use an enameled one or whatever you like to cook your sauces in folks. I was really into CI at the time and strictly used CI for everything. Now its still my preferred method of cooking but I use other materials as well.

TemplarDroid said:

It did, My household lives on sarcasm. Bring it on!  :party:

Oops, sorry if it is  :cry:
no worries at that time it was my basic recipe but I've tweaked it since then and use many more peppers in my sauces now. Try it out and tweak it to your liking. I made a delicious sauce the other day with 90 Caribbean Reds in it and it turned out great. I used a can of pineapple instead of the other fruit in the recipe with nothing else but onion, garlic,salt and AC vinegar. 

Back