• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut Jolokia problem.

It's been triple digits here last few days. The leaves appear curly and brittle at ends with some dropping. Newer growth at top looks good as do pods. I've checked for pests even the micro ones..nothing.
Thoughts?

Ha.

Yeah, I sprayed the crap out of him a couple days ago with insecticidal soap.
Treat again...maybe?
Another issue I have is it is rootbound in that container. I'll probably transplant it once it gets cooler later.

stoney's_ghost said:
Ha.

Yeah, I sprayed the crap out of him a couple days ago with insecticidal soap.
Treat again...maybe?
Another issue I have is it is rootbound in that container. I'll probably transplant it once it gets cooler later.
Insecticidal soap probably won't help you with broad mites, if that's what they are. I used sulphur powder fungicide a couple times, and that helped.

I have yellow sulfur powder. Would that work? As for application. Sprinkle on plant and soil? Should I do that first before transplanting?
Will too much sulfer hurt or kill the plant?
Thanks guys!

I hope it's not blight..I really love this plant.

I feel the heat you speak of, I'm up a ways from you in Valencia...Looks like sunscald. The leaves are probably curling due to the heat stress. My tomatoes do the exact same thing when its blazing hot (or way over watered). If you're worried that it might be mites, take a leaf inside and flick it over white paper...Look for dots about this size (.) moving or slightly smaller. Got movement? You got mites. But seriously, the sun has been brutal this week. Think about erecting a canopy of shade cloth. I use 60-75% for my tomatoes and the ones out side of the canopy are wrecked. Careful with the sulfur, it can easily burn your leaves. I've had great luck with Neem applied at night, soaking dripping wet. I notched up the application frequency a little from the instructions and annihilated some thrips and mites. The fact that leaves are dropping really points to sunscald/heat stress. If mobile, I'd reduce their direct sun exposure period until things start to cool down a bit. Remember, fried leaves never come back so watch the new growth. And putting them out of direct sunlight for a week or so wont kill them, just give them bright sky.
-
Also, its been so hot and dry lately, I wouldn't worry too much about blight.

Awesome advice man. Thanks!

I'll flick a leaf over paper tonight. I'm shielding the containers to keep the soil temps cooler.
I have to admit that this plant needs a larger container which I just bought. It is my favorite plant so I want to get it in that new one asap. I know it's really rootbound in his current one.
Not really absorbing the nutes it needs.

Back