smokers New toy. Cheap azzzz gas smoker

On sale at Aldi this weekend for $199.  Buggers sold out fast.  My local store sold out after 30 minutes.  Had to go travelling to find one (8 minutes dodgy driving :D) and they sold out 10 minutes after I got there lol.

Hark, rebranded as Coolabah.  I turned the brand plate around.  Welcome names for it.  I like Pork Fistermatic 2.5 myself... :shocked:
P8292691_zpssnrzntbq.jpg

First step was to remove the stickers.  Second step is the 2 hour season on low with hickory chunks.

First and most important mod is the seal on the shitty doors to stop all the heat and smoke leaking out.  Whaddya expext for a coupla hunert bucks?  That's later when I can drive again after "perhaps" consuming too much happy juice. 

Leaky bastige.

P8292693_zpsxcm9tldi.jpg

Bastige butcher! Asked for a brisket @ 2 kg and he gave me (when I got home and looked properly!) a 1.5 kg piece of flank.  Shame on Brothers Butcher at Endeavour Hills shopping centre!

Into the new toy.  Ahhh it's so shiny and new!  Don't want to see what it looks likes next month...But the food it's gonna pump out will taste guuuuuuud!
Stoopid last sticker removed 5 seconds after seeing it. 

P8292702_zpss3kk47sg.jpg

Nice smoker, and I would not turn my nose up to that "Giant" piece of flank you got in there. Enjoy! I surely would. 

I'm going to seal the doors with this and the cling film method.  Also gonna add a short chimney with a damper and not use the one at the back.

D100412.jpg

Well I may have fallen asleep :drunk: and forgotten about the flank for maybe 4hours
But I made the best dang jerky I've ever had!  Been eating this non stop.  About 900 grams of it!  Taste is concentrated beef, nice smoke and the seasonings (pepper steak) are awesome!

P8302706_zpsmovrxusf.jpg

Deep smoke ring!  Texture is somewhere between jerky and a well done steak.  Nice chew but still has moisture.

P8302710_zpsmmov4pap.jpg

This is in the smoker now.  Flat section of a brisket.  Weird thing is my butcher caters to Kiwi's and they (not me) prefer brisket flat with the rib section still attached.  And most of his customers slow boil it.

Mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and chunky sea salt and black pepper.  Gonna cook it through the stall without foil.  Smoking with hickory chunk and mesquite chips.

P8302705_zpsnrtc9r1l.jpg

Very nice deathtosnails!! But I'd use lava lock gaskets I've used silicone kept falling off and messy as Hell.

Otherwise great deal and some killer looking cooks!! Got me motivated!!

Very nice dehydrator!

:lol:

This is gas. You should be able to maintain even temps no matter how much smoke is lost so if it is just a little don't even worry about it. With wood and smoke/heat loss and airflow issues it is more of a problem due to inconsistent temps. Gas maintains and with minor loss you just may be burning a minuscule amount more, but you will still maintain. 

But here: http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

Deathtosnails said:
Hark, rebranded as Coolabah.  I turned the brand plate around.  Welcome names for it.  I like Pork Fistermatic 2.5 myself... :shocked:

Good name. ;)

Or "Set it and forget it" ...like... literally forget it...

:lol:

Last pulled pork few weeks back.  Pork shoulder, standard dry rub ingreds, brushed with half/half apple cider vin and apple juice with dried birds eye chilli last two hours.  Got a nice bark.  No internal pics :(
P9062748_zpsukb2rhxf.jpg

Todays pork shoulder.  Nekked.  Nuffin on it at all. Might go a mop later dunno.

P9202782_zpsgho9fa32.jpg

Going for final internal temp of 196 (91 C) ish not what that reads V

sigh, long way to go.  Maybe it's gonna be brekkie and not dinner.

P9202786_zpsfndil0ie.jpg

Nice mahogany on A.
B naked? No bark?

Maple syrup, molasses, and vinegar maybe? Get that maple flavor, some sugars to caramelize, and some vinegar tang plus cheap to thin it out. A splash of bourbon just cuz.

Back