• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Planning for 2016

With approximately just another 10 weeks to go in this season, I have started to assess this year's grow, and looking at my options for next year.

I started germinating seeds from about September 2014, and kept those seedlings indoors under artificial lighting and heat. Bit by bit they started their move outdoors from late March. Not many survived but I was able to replace them. I planted my current plants outdoors in May together with a heap of herbs: basil, lemon sage, mint, chives, salad onions, and lavender; and some French marigolds too. The good news is that I have not had ANY APHIDS until today, when I found ONE, which I promptly pinged off the plant.

We have had some hot weather this year but nothing significant in terms of duration, and my location is quite shaded. Long story short, I have the pest control dialled in well for this year, but the weather is and always be a limiting factor. As I grow my chillies on the balcony, I have to accept that I need to choose very carefully what chilli I grow next year for a decent harvest.

I need some ideas of chillies that grow well in cooler climate with less sun, and still pack some punch in terms of heat. I am disappointed to say this but I have come to the point of surrendering to the Super Hots, given that I can not provide plants with a green house nor anymore sun (without relocating myself!).

I am thinking of Datils and Fatalii. What do you think? Or would the annums be a better bet?

Calamari Kid said:
With approximately just another 10 weeks to go in this season, I have started to assess this year's grow, and looking at my options for next year.

I started germinating seeds from about September 2014, and kept those seedlings indoors under artificial lighting and heat. Bit by bit they started their move outdoors from late March. Not many survived but I was able to replace them. I planted my current plants outdoors in May together with a heap of herbs: basil, lemon sage, mint, chives, salad onions, and lavender; and some French marigolds too. The good news is that I have not had ANY APHIDS until today, when I found ONE, which I promptly pinged off the plant.

We have had some hot weather this year but nothing significant in terms of duration, and my location is quite shaded. Long story short, I have the pest control dialled in well for this year, but the weather is and always be a limiting factor. As I grow my chillies on the balcony, I have to accept that I need to choose very carefully what chilli I grow next year for a decent harvest.

I need some ideas of chillies that grow well in cooler climate with less sun, and still pack some punch in terms of heat. I am disappointed to say this but I have come to the point of surrendering to the Super Hots, given that I can not provide plants with a green house nor anymore sun (without relocating myself!).

I am thinking of Datils and Fatalii. What do you think? Or would the annums be a better bet?
( PINGED off the plant )   :rofl:  :rofl:  i can just picture it , ping wheeeeee !    :onfire:

CAPCOM said:
Manzanos, rocotos and locotos come to mind.

Perfect, thanks. I have some Locoto seeds. :dance:
Chilidude said:
 Aji lemon drop and Aji crystal. I think most if the Baccatum varieties should works in your situation.

Are you lot psychic??! LOL!!

I have been eyeing up some Lemon Drops seeds this weekend from my usual seed seller as well as a smaller scale grower-seller!

I did also put 4 seeds into my germination tub today - 2 datils and 2 fataliis. Really am still hoping that a miracle might happen and something might come from the chinense plants. Guess there will be 4 people who are getting chilli plants for Christmas... :rofl:

Back