• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

freezing my peppers for sauce

I have frozen my peppers that i gather till end of September when we start to can.I am going to attempt to make my own hot sauces this year.I washed them good but did not blanch them do you think they will still be ok by then?

firchf1 said:
Thanks,this year i have about 20 different pepper plants for making sauce.anywhere from Tabasco to reaper peppers any advise i would appreciate.

Hot Sauce 101 and Fermenting 101 are threads you should start with.  Then I'd advise making a basic hot sauce with jalapeno to habanero heat level peppers and seeing how you like that.  You can always add a couple of reapers to bump heat, but you can't take em out.  :)

This Thread has some recipes with measurements.  The 7 Pots and Fatalii's we used were frozen. 

Have fun and post pics~ 

:cool:

I actually freeze my peppers when making hot sauce, even when they are fresh.  Freezing helps break down the cellular walls of the peppers, with the end result of making a thicker, smoother sauce, that doesn't separate as easily.  And I haven't noticed any difference in taste of the final sauce product. 

Back