• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Experiments of a hot sauce making noob

Well, I have been making my own Jams and Jellies for years, and I love eating as well as growing Peppers, so i thought i'd order extra's this year for hot sauce experiments  :P
(as well as the opportunity to taste even more pods that I am not growing this year)

I thought...   Why not give hot sauce making a try too...

and here's how 1 experiment went:
This experiment actually happened several weeks ago but i haven't got around to sharing it until now.

I took some fresh Ground cherry's from the Garden (husked & washed)

some Golden Kiwi from the Market
(yes it is supposed to be that color, it's also nearly hairless compared to the fuzz of a Green Kiwi)

I also picked up some imported Aji Amarillos, and some yellow Manzano's locally

Washed & de-seeded them,

I then simmered some Carrots, large Shallots, and some Garlic in some Rice wine vinegar (4.5%)

then i added the following pods (the circled ones) from an order i received from CoachSpencer so that i could add a little bit more kick.

altogether in the Pot  with 1/2 a cup of white Vinegar, and juice of 1 large Lime, before the motor boat comes in:

nearly final product in a Jar so it can age in the fridge for about a month:

and...
first tasting:

Triscuits, with Havarti, and a big dollop of un-aged sauce.

it is Fruit forward, yet still savory and quite tasty.  I will definitely consider Golden Kiwi for sauce making in my next experiments!

This sauce will be used up possibly before even being bottled!

Please comment and let me know what you think of these ingredients for a sauce.
also any other suggestions, would be helpful, as I am, admittedly still a sauce making Noob.

:cheers: ,
and thanks for looking

I practically drank a bottle of SF's Tiki Torch this weekend ...

I don't know why, couldn't have predicted it, but it worked in a holy union with the country ham JHP sent me - and I went to town on both ...

I need to try growing some of those manzano peppers next season, if I remember ...

(Probably don't grow well here, actually, based on accounts I've read recently - too hot) ...

grantmichaels said:

I don't know why, couldn't have predicted it, but it worked in a holy union with the country ham JHP sent me - and I went to town on both ...

I need to try growing some of those manzano peppers next season, if I remember ...

(Probably don't grow well here, actually, based on accounts I've read recently - too hot) ...
Now, I'm suddenly craving Breakfast Ham, and Eggs with SF's  Dee Roo Tiki Torch (which I need to order more of)
Thanks for reminding me  :P

grantmichaels said:

So the country ham was edible? I missed that memo!

Gorgeous color and texture on your first sauce GiP!  I've always thought ground cherries are great in sauce - a nice bit of citrus with good texture and they help thicken a sauce quite nicely.  Manzanos and rocotos are quickly becoming my favorite peppers, just no other pod really brings the same amount of meat and sweet and heat in such perfect combination.  Most excellent first go and sauce making GiP.  :)  

JoynersHotPeppers said:
So the country ham was edible? I missed that memo!

Last Spicy Meal thread was the 1st serving ...

And last night I used the rest w/ a bunch of sauerkraut and that mustard I'm in love with and more Tiki Torch and a little 10k dressing to have what was kind of like the innards of a reuben ... bread-free.

Was great ...

Didn't have *ANY* adverse reaction from the ham, tasted good to me ...

It's salty enough that it needs to be balanced w/ something like sauerkraut imho ...

I immediately thought corned beef/reuben when I tasted it after opening it, so I went that direction with it ...

If my diet would have allowed, I'd have liked to make pepper-gravy with some, but that's just not in my plan right now ...

SmokenFire said:
Gorgeous color and texture on your first sauce GiP!  I've always thought ground cherries are great in sauce - a nice bit of citrus with good texture and they help thicken a sauce quite nicely.  Manzanos and rocotos are quickly becoming my favorite peppers, just no other pod really brings the same amount of meat and sweet and heat in such perfect combination.  Most excellent first go and sauce making GiP.   :)
i have come to the same conclusion about the manzano.. since they are available almost every day of the year her in phx i can make sauce just about any time.. in fact i just finished a manzano with prickly cactus pear fruit sauce.  The fruit was dark red the manzanos were yellow.. so a dark orange finishing color.. i did add some agave to sweeten it up a bit.

So, excuse the basic ? because I've not looked into it before, but ...

The pepper mashes don't need pH modification or Caldwell starter or additional culture ...

You just blend them peppers and toss 'em in w/ an airlock and the CO2 pushes out the O2 and it just hums along ... or?

grantmichaels said:
So, excuse the basic ? because I've not looked into it before, but ...

The pepper mashes don't need pH modification or Caldwell starter or additional culture ...

You just blend them peppers and toss 'em in w/ an airlock and the CO2 pushes out the O2 and it just hums along ... or?
blended the peppers, added salt to 5%, you could add a starter but it is my understanding that it isn't really necessary, add a source of sugars(many people use carrots) put it in a jar with an airlock, and wait.

I am admittedly a Hot Sauce making Noob though. This is an experiment.

hopefully others here with more experience will chime in

:cheers:

Back