• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Florida Oyster Mushroom? Any mycologists here?

I found what I believe to be a pleurotus florida aka florida oyster mushroom. It was on a log of my moringa that I cut down. I'm fairly certain it's the right ID, but i'm no expert and don't want to ingest something poisonous. I don't see any info about copycats....so here are the pics. 

20150831_150432.jpg

20150831_150349.jpg

20150831_150340.jpg

Disclaimer: Consuming wild-harvested foods always carries a risk of misidentification that could result in serious injury or death, even with the advice of a professional, but especially without it. Anyone choosing to do so does so at their own risk. 

As it happens, when my fellow English majors were taking Underwater Basket Weaving for their electives, I took a bunch of upper-division science courses, including Mycology. There's a saying among wild mushroom enthusiasts: "There are two kinds of foragers: adventurous ones, and old ones." I have taken great pains to be one of the latter.

My advice would be to first take a spore print. Lay a piece of plain white printer paper on a dinner plate and put your sample, gills down, on it. Put a bowl over it, put it in the fridge, and leave it undisturbed at least overnight. The spores will collect on the paper; the color of the spore print is often useful in keying out mushrooms.

I'd then email pictures of the mushroom and spore print, along with a description of the medium it was growing on and any other relevant details to a professional. Although several come to mind, I'd probably start with Dr. James Kimbrough at the University of Florida. One of the big challenges for mushrooming enthusiasts in Miami is how radically different a climate we have; a lot of the stuff that grows elsewhere doesn't occur here, and a lot of the stuff that grows here isn't found elsewhere. Dr. Kimbrough really knows his stuff, and has written at least one book that I know of dealing specifically with mushrooms of Florida.

One last word of advice: if you're going to harvest and eat wild mushrooms, pay careful attention to spoilage. A lot of people fall prey to what they think is mushroom poisoning, but actually turns out to be food poisoning (which, by the way, can also be fatal) from eating mushrooms that are past their prime

Wicked Mike said:
One last word of advice: if you're going to harvest and eat wild mushrooms, pay careful attention to spoilage. A lot of people fall prey to what they think is mushroom poisoning, but actually turns out to be food poisoning (which, by the way, can also be fatal) from eating mushrooms that are past their prime

yea, by the time i get all that done it would probably have been old haha. i'll try out the spore print though, see what happens. Maybe the log will spit out some more $$$

BigB said:
yea haha, i know. last thing i want is my stomach pumped 

Going to build a clean box? ... get out the tupperware, cut wrist holes, mount dish gloves in it like a sandblasting station, and some plexiglass ... spray the inside w/ dilute bleach mist or virahol ... take a print.

Make sure to have the A/C off in the house during it all ...

It's all a real PITA ... and not worth it, LOL ...

You can buy a pre-innoculated kit online in a bag, and just kick start it and let her rip ...

http://southeastmushroom.com/shop.htm

????? I'll take a pic of the bottom side tonite when I get home. I saw about a half dozen of these around my property.

Ive grown my own and unless your 100% absolute identified, I would not touch it, see lots of tree oysters around that make my mouth drool but its just ot worth it unless you know someone old lol.

You can grow easy enough in a container, and by just washing store bought mushrooms in a bag of water then pour the water on some sawdust.

Some past grows.
Lions Main
Kink Oyster
Pearl Oyster

2XstrcH.jpg

TWVSqGE.jpg

rzT1h6h.jpg

VBwLjPb.jpg

skullbiker said:
I just saw these out by my pepper patch just growing out of the sand. Anyone know what kind these are? I know nothing about mushrooms. These are in Minnesota.

These look like giant puffball to me as well
however i am NOT a mycologist.

While i have collected and eaten several wild mushrooms; mostly morels
i do NOT feel qualified as an old mushroom forager to even be an educated 2nd guess yet.
I always ask at least one other opinion from a mushroom forager older than I.
even if i think i am already certain, 'usually my buddies dad' confirms for me first.
my casual opinion is that those look like puffballs from this picture.

i enjoy looking for and at wild mushrooms all the time, but mostly just for amateur pictures.

dragonsfire said:
Ive grown my own and unless your 100% absolute identified, I would not touch it, see lots of tree oysters around that make my mouth drool but its just ot worth it unless you know someone old lol.

You can grow easy enough in a container, and by just washing store bought mushrooms in a bag of water then pour the water on some sawdust.

Some past grows.
Lions Main
Kink Oyster
Pearl Oyster

2XstrcH.jpg

TWVSqGE.jpg

rzT1h6h.jpg

VBwLjPb.jpg
Very nice, DF! I've grown Oysters before on wheat straw. It pretty cool to see them grow out of the holes in the bag. Found these. I believe they are Gymnopus Luxurians.
dk51IcD.jpg

With a cricket photobombing.
PF5PsdE.jpg

Not sure on this one. Field mushroom? Agaricus maybe.
mPBYgRK.jpg

Another unknown
FEnv3sK.jpg

These Coprinus (I'm guessing) are abundant in just one yard up the street.
jLm85Yh.jpg

e8N4DLf.jpg

qDgsuve.jpg

Back