• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Crossing "frutescens" and "chinense"

Hi,

last year i crossed an "annum" with a "chinense" and it worked fine.

I seen different lists, with different results and opinions about crossing "frutescens" with "chinense", so i want to ask you about your experience:

Can these two species be crossed easily, or is sucess rare in this case?

When the two cross, you get partially fertile seeds.

It does work. Just need a good bit of seeds.
Search for frutegum. A new bbg7 frutescen cross that has the bbg7 bleeding caylx.

I have a jalabanero, that got pollinated by donni sali, a frutescen. So (annuum x chinense) x frutescen.

Ok, then i will give it a try, Thanks guys :-)

GA Growhead said:
When the two cross, you get partially fertile seeds.

It does work. Just need a good bit of seeds.
Search for frutegum. A new bbg7 frutescen cross that has the bbg7 bleeding caylx.

I have a jalabanero, that got pollinated by donni sali, a frutescen. So (annuum x chinense) x frutescen.

I think you picked the "donni sali" for crossing because this plant has less seeds than other fruits of this size?

Can you tell me how big the "donni sali" gets and if the yield  is good?

I want to use "tabasco greenleaf" as my crossing pepper, but i dont know if it has many seeds or not, does anybody know that?

Zackorz said:
Ok, then i will give it a try, Thanks guys :-)

I think you picked the "donni sali" for crossing because this plant has less seeds than other fruits of this size?

Can you tell me how big the "donni sali" gets and if the yield  is good?

I want to use "tabasco greenleaf" as my crossing pepper, but i dont know if it has many seeds or not, does anybody know that?
Mine is an unintentional cross.
The donni sali are small. Seedy but very good tasting.

This was the plant.
14084646677103.jpg

The cross is very frutescen dominant with bigger pods. Will post a pict for you to see.

GA Growhead said:
Mine is an unintentional cross.
The donni sali are small. Seedy but very good tasting.

This was the plant.
14084646677103.jpg

The cross is very frutescen dominant with bigger pods. Will post a pict for you to see.

Thanks for the info. how many feet does the the plant grow? Im undecided if i should  choose tabasco or donni sali for crossing (my purpose is to get a big plant and yield).

Zackorz said:

Thanks for the info. how many feet does the the plant grow? Im undecided if i should  choose tabasco or donni sali for crossing (my purpose is to get a big plant and yield).
The donni got quite big. It was more than five feet by season's end. Definitely more vertical growth, than width. It yeilded a ton of those little peppers. More than I ever wanted to pick in one sitting.

This is this year cross.

GA Growhead said:
The donni got quite big. It was more than five feet by season's end. Definitely more vertical growth, than width. It yeilded a ton of those little peppers. More than I ever wanted to pick in one sitting.

This is this year cross.
Very cool looking Plant, thank you for the picture. Do you know which plant crossed itself with the "donni sali"?

Zackorz said:
Very cool looking Plant, thank you for the picture. Do you know which plant crossed itself with the "donni sali"?
The seeds for the plant show above came from a jalabanero F3 plant, jalapeño x hab but not sure which way it was crossed. The jalabanero was growing next to the donni sali and both plants merged branches as they got big. I planted a few seeds from the jalabanero and got the one untrue plant. It was pretty obvious what it had crossed with, the donni sali.

I can't get over how dominant this cross is toward the frutescen side. The next generation should open up the gene pool, which should be interesting.

I also had a tobasco x chinense cross that I was clueless of the chinense parent, two seasons ago. It put out longer Tabasco pods, about 2½" to 3", & made three or four pods per node. They went to straight juice when ripe and had a tobasco tomato like flavor. I regrew seeds from that plant last year and ended up with a few straight tobasco plants in the F2s, and a few plants that were more hab like. There wasn't really a mixture of the two in the eight plants I had. I have a couple F3 plants that I never really did anything with this year. They are all in a single half gallon pot still & haven't made any flowers yet. Those F3s came from the most hab like plant from the F2s.

GA Growhead said:
The seeds for the plant show above came from a jalabanero F3 plant, jalapeño x hab but not sure which way it was crossed. The jalabanero was growing next to the donni sali and both plants merged branches as they got big. I planted a few seeds from the jalabanero and got the one untrue plant. It was pretty obvious what it had crossed with, the donni sali.

I can't get over how dominant this cross is toward the frutescen side. The next generation should open up the gene pool, which should be interesting.

I also had a tobasco x chinense cross that I was clueless of the chinense parent, two seasons ago. It put out longer Tabasco pods, about 2½" to 3", & made three or four pods per node. They went to straight juice when ripe and had a tobasco tomato like flavor. I regrew seeds from that plant last year and ended up with a few straight tobasco plants in the F2s, and a few plants that were more hab like. There wasn't really a mixture of the two in the eight plants I had. I have a couple F3 plants that I never really did anything with this year. They are all in a single half gallon pot still & haven't made any flowers yet. Those F3s came from the most hab like plant from the F2s.

Well, frutescens + chinense seem to have great potential. I will try to cross some and get a lot of seeds. The good thing is, that the F1 Plants are always the same. So if you have a good cross you just need to grow f1 seeds all the time :-)

Baccatum + Chinense could  be very good too. There is a Baccatum that can produce "thousands !!" of little peppers and get really tall. This baccatum with bigger and hotter pods would be really cool..

Back