• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Should I cut these tomato leaves off?

I have a bunch of cherry tomato seedlings and I see that the first leaves that sprouted are far from the top and very small... I'm thinking that they are just wasting the plants energy.. So should I cut them off? Here is a pic.

98c15a5706.jpg

No green leaf 'wastes energy.'  On the contrary, the chlorophyll within is doing what it does - making carbs to fuel the plant's growth. 

Nature usually tends to know what it's doing.  Trust it, let go, and enjoy watching your plants grow.   :)

I only prune tommy leaves once the plant has flowered.  I prune everything up to the first flowering branch.   The idea is to  promote better air circulation and keep the leaves away from the soil where evil pathogens lurk. 

Topsmoke said:
I only prune tommy leaves once the plant has flowered.  I prune everything up to the first flowering branch.   The idea is to  promote better air circulation and keep the leaves away from the soil where evil pathogens lurk. 

That's a lot of leaves to butcher!  I strongly doubt that air circulation (?) is an issue for any plant living outdoors or being blown on by a fan.  And if your soil is full of "evil," (spontaneously spawning Cacodemons?  :D  ) the roots will already be toast. 

(Philosophic rant!  Natural processes are not "evil" in the first place, and seldom require correction from anxiety-ridden primates.  Relax and let go and enjoy.)

Geonerd said:

That's a lot of leaves to butcher!  I strongly doubt that air circulation (?) is an issue for any plant living outdoors or being blown on by a fan.  And if your soil is full of "evil," (spontaneously spawning Cacodemons?  :D  ) the roots will already be toast. 

(Philosophic rant!  Natural processes are not "evil" in the first place, and seldom require correction from anxiety-ridden primates.  Relax and let go and enjoy.)
lol its only like six to ten leaves.  The first flowering branch is usually only 18in off the ground.  rembering that the plant is usually like 3ft by this point. My plants generally grow to about 8ft. The circulation and pathogens Im talking about are soil born illness like black spot, powdery mildew, things that wait to splash up onto wet lower leaves which tend to have poor circulation and infect the plant.  I guess I should have been more clear on the entire process.

(philosophical counter - It stoped being natural the minute you were the one to place the seed in the soil.) 

I rely heavily on natural process to care for my plants but nature dosent take care of individual plants as much as insure the overall survival of everything including the organisms that also like to eat tomatoes. Stripping the lower leaves reduces the risk of contamination and keeps it open under the plant making visual inspection much easier.  I also do this on my blackberries.  Peppers arent as susceptible to soil borne illness so no need there.

Back