• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I assume this is a spider mite?

I saw these on some reapers and scorpions.  The peppers get a bad spot on them where they reside.  The first pic is the web.  Next is under the web, but is a bad picture because apparently my finger got in the way.  Last again is a bad picture.  Trying to get a shot as it was running away after I scared it out of the folds in the pepper.

20150904_163030.jpg

20150904_163047.jpg

20150904_163123.jpg

Might be easier to see in smaller pics

Scuba_Steve said:
I saw these on some reapers and scorpions.  The peppers get a bad spot on them where they reside.  The first pic is the web.  Next is under the web, but is a bad picture because apparently my finger got in the way.  Last again is a bad picture.  Trying to get a shot as it was running away after I scared it out of the folds in the pepper.

No. It looks like a regular spider. Mites have only one body segment, while this has two. Also, spider mites would be doing a lot more damage than just this, as well as being much smaller. I doubt the spider is causing bad spots so much as the place where it resides has other things that do, or that it's a sheltered part that can go bad more easily.

actually, those appear w/ the mites/aphids ...

i believe they might be called spider mites because they ride those fuckers ...

i can correlate the two, positively, repeatedly.

Spider mites are going to look more like this SS:

spider-mite-control1.jpg

Tiny whitish little bastids with very fine silken webs strung under leaves next to the stems.  The guy you got on the pod just thought it was an awesome cave hideout to catch critters in. :)

I get the same little clear green spiders, they like to make tiny web nests in the crevasses of wrinkly peppers. Technically they are good guys though my wife doesn't like when i'm washing peppers and they go scurrying. 

Back