dehydrators Review of Excalibur Dehydrator with Digital Controller and Timer

[SIZE=medium]I did so much researching on dehydrators before buying one and the Excalibur brand kept coming up with great reviews both here in THP forums, the web in general and friends recommendations, So I decided to buy this one. with the deciding factor being the timer and the fact that it has a temp range from 95-165, At 95 it low enough dry peppers and the seeds are still viable, fruits and veggies maintain more of their nutrients at a lower temp of around 115. And ability to maintain a temp of 145-155 is needed for jerky.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-3948CDB-Dehydrator-Digital-Controller/dp/B0115X5UGE/ref=sr_1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1441414009&sr=1-12&keywords=excalibur+dehydrator&pebp=1441414017696&perid=0ZF7TZ72SRWP6QTXNRHR[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have had a chance to use it for multiple times, Dried jalapenos, dried pineapple, beef jerky, dried tomato's and corn. It's pretty much been running non stop for about a week now. and I will say I am very happy with it. Has a two timer mode that allows you to set a timer for say 160 for an hour, then a second timer for a different temp and time. To make clean-up easier I put a Non-stick Dehydrator Sheet on the bottom to catch drips (saved me a ton of clean up when I made jerky) The trays I believe are dishwasher safe but at 15x15 they wont fit in mine, but the screens and trays clean up very easily with soap and hot water.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My thoughts on this dehydrator it was money well spent![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
95.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]With the temp set at 95 degrees it took about 5 minutes to get to temp, at stayed fairly stable  with just a +/- 2 degrees[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
165.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]With the temp set at 165 it took about 15 minutes to get up to temp it ranged as low as 158 but seemed to stay pretty stable at about 163[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
jalapenos.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Eight pounds of Jalapenos seeded for the most part and cut into strips took 15 hours to dry enough at 125 degrees to turn into powder, it might have been quicker but at the time it was raining hard here and the humidity was over 90%.[/SIZE]

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Great review, you will love that device! 
I already think it's great, have some  jerky going it now,  couple of the trays with a little added scorpion powder for a little more kick then the last batch. Monday I'll be out of my apartment for the day so I plan on loading the trays full of yellow ghost peppers turn it on, leave a couple windows cracked and run out the door before I get gassed.

Well, loaded the dehydrator trays to the brim with ghost peppers sliced in half on Monday morning, left the kitchen and office widow both cracked open for a breeze through the house. Came home Tuesday morning opened the door expecting to be hit hard with pepper fumes, but it had all dissipated, I am sure  leaving the widows cracked made a huge difference I am sure. Nine trays of ghost peppers  cave me probably 4 ounces of powder, Yesterday I loaded 9 pounds of Sweet onions into it and set it and just about gassed myself out of my place ended up opening every window in my place and had every fan going, well lesson learned Onions and super hot's will be done when im out of the house from now on lol.

Back