• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Caribbean mustard sauces?

Curious if anyone has ever used mustard in their sauces, either dry or prepared. Two of my favorite commercial sauces (one is Melindas Amarillo Mustard Hot Sauce, never caught the name of the second as it was in St. Thomas) have mustard in them, but I can't necessarily taste "mustard" in the sauce... But I do love the yellow color of these sauces and the flavor, so the mustard must be working some magic. Just curious to anyone's thoughts regarding percentage of mustard in the final sauce. I'm about ready to fire up a few Caribbean ferments, and I think I'll do mustard in the processing of one of them, but want to get some ideas and advice ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!

A lot of times when it says mustard, it is actually mustard (dry) not prepared mustard. Prepared has vinegar and so does your sauce already. Try dry yellow mustard from the tin.

This Summer I made a pepper sauce consisting of Aji Pineapple peppers, lime juice, and a small amount of onion.  One day I got bored with it and added a small bit of dijon mustard.  It was a winner.  Yeah, it wasn't a Caribbean sauce, but adding mustard can be a cool thing.

Trinidad Mustard sauce is one of my most popular sauces and a personal favorite. It's awesome on everything except mexican food.  I use 4Tbs of dry mustard powder in 32floz. of sauce. Its definitely mustard-y but not overly so.  If you want minimal mustard flavor i would go with 2Tbs.

"Doubt is never a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." - Voltaire

nice, thanks for the replies! I fired up two half gallon ferments with basically the same ingredients last night, so I may try one with mustard powder and maybe one with prepared mustard to see how they end up.

hoibot said:
it sounds like maybe the origin of this style is from Barbados. The "Bajan" style pepper sauce.

http://www.bajanthings.com/bajan-hot-pepper-sauce/

sounds like these ferments will fit perfectly with this style.
Also found this link, which sheds a bit more light on what I'm searching for.

http://eatlikeagirl.com/2013/02/01/recipe-bajan-pepper-sauce/

and another:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bajan-pepper-sauce
I can certainly attest to this as I was just in Barbados and have a bunch of their mustard sauce. I love it. Also have the recipe if you want. Amazing stuff.

SouthernYooper said:
I can certainly attest to this as I was just in Barbados and have a bunch of their mustard sauce. I love it. Also have the recipe if you want. Amazing stuff.

Absolutely, would love it. Feel free to post in here, or shoot it to me in a PM, whatever works, thanks!

You got it:
Bajan style hot sauce (yellow)
4oz green onion
12 hot peppers (like scotch bonnet or hotter)
1/2 oz fresh turmeric or 1 teaspoon powdered.
2 tablespoons hot English mustard
1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
6 cloves garlic
1lb fresh horse radish or 1 tablespoon horseradish powder (optional)
3 dozen peeled pearl onions (optional)

1)wash, peel, and chop the spring onion and onions. Remove stems from peppers and peel the garlic.
2) place the onions, turmeric, mustard, salt, peppers, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the vinegar in a food processor for a few minutes.
3) add 2 cups of the the horseradish, and whole pearl onions(if using).
4) bottle sauce.

This recipe came from a Bajan cookbook I bought down there called Bajan cooking. This sauce is amazing on fried fish and beans and rice.
Ps- 1 lb of horseradish seems like a lot. I e never made this yet as I was just there in July.

SouthernYooper said:
You got it:
Bajan style hot sauce (yellow)
4oz green onion
12 hot peppers (like scotch bonnet or hotter)
1/2 oz fresh turmeric or 1 teaspoon powdered.
2 tablespoons hot English mustard
1/4 cup salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
6 cloves garlic
1lb fresh horse radish or 1 tablespoon horseradish powder (optional)
3 dozen peeled pearl onions (optional)

1)wash, peel, and chop the spring onion and onions. Remove stems from peppers and peel the garlic.
2) place the onions, turmeric, mustard, salt, peppers, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the vinegar in a food processor for a few minutes.
3) add 2 cups of the the horseradish, and whole pearl onions(if using).
4) bottle sauce.

This recipe came from a Bajan cookbook I bought down there called Bajan cooking. This sauce is amazing on fried fish and beans and rice.
Ps- 1 lb of horseradish seems like a lot. I e never made this yet as I was just there in July.
How much flying fish did you eat while there? I love that island! One the SE coast I used to walk through fields of peppers to get to the beach. 

Back