• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pepper puree

Sorry gotta ask

Is it just peppers?

Do you add anything?

How long does it keep in the fridge?

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS

Rymerpt

The word 'puree' is descriptive of a constistency.  Generally pulpy, but with no large chunks, any thing with the consistency of thick, mostly smooth, vegetable paste.   

In regards to 'chile puree', it could mean many things depending on the mfg.  Some commercial puree vendors include fermented or heavily salted concoctions.

A lot of people here on THP talk about AJ's PUREE.   A mostly chile blend that has a bit of vinegar in it. AlabamaJack originally did it in BWB. 

edit- when processed with BWB, the jars are generally shelf stable.  After opened, the jars should be refrigerated, and they can last a loooooooooong time in the refer.

Thanks Salsa Lady.

So I'm thinkin:

Many peppers
Some garlic
A bit of vinegar
Some lemon or lime
Sea salt

Blend the shit outa it

Can it

Water bath it

Open after a few days

Fridge for a loooooong time

SOUND ABOUT RIGHT?

:cool:
that's about it!

Can it/BWB it= shelf stable

After open, then refer....

"Chile Puree" as a "tag line" can be very confusing, just like the word "mash" can be confusing.  Some think the word "mash" in reference to a commercailly made product equates to a fermented product.  That is not correct.  A "mash" is almost synonymous with a "puree" when talking about consistency of the chile product.  Both smooshed up with no large particles.  "Mash" is not necessarily 'fermented'.   

OH- and my favorite process  is to ..."...Blender the SNOT out of it...."   :lol:
but that's the FamilyFriendly version of blend the shit out of it~~~~

We're all on the same page!!!!  It just takes me a few more edits to get to PG13 posting ratings.

Rymerpt said:
Thanks Salsa Lady.

So I'm thinkin:

Many peppers
Some garlic
A bit of vinegar
Some lemon or lime
Sea salt

Blend the shit outa it

Can it

Water bath it

Open after a few days

Fridge for a loooooong time

SOUND ABOUT RIGHT?

Don't forget to cook it down.  I have made AJ's recipe a couple of times and it is shelf stable going on a year now.   I would follow his recipe for your first try.  4 simple ingredients...peppers  salt  vinegar  and agave nectar.

tctenten said:

Don't forget to cook it down.  I have made AJ's recipe a couple of times and it is shelf stable going on a year now.   I would follow his recipe for your first try.  4 simple ingredients...peppers  salt  vinegar  and agave nectar.
AJ who?

Oh, that AJ. Thanks for the link! It would have taken me a while to dial back to 2012. That is a great tutorial with pics and one I have not seen or remember seeing.

Much appreciated tct. I will bookmark.

Jim

Back