event Northwest Chilefest 2015- Official Thread

salsalady

Business Member
Here's the Official Northwest Chilefest Thread! 

We are gassed up, loaded up, and heading down the road!. 

See y'all over there!

Unforeseen circumstance's are keeping me from attending as I had planned on Saturday. I knew Salsalady was going to be there today, so I took a drive out and met her and her other half. I will say they made me feel right at home, like they have known me forever. Ended up bringing some of her salsa, some of her 2015 tribute sauce, and some of her garlic smoked habanero sauce home. I have not tried the salsa or the tribute sauce yet but the garlic habanero sauce is soooo good, I don't see it lasting very long in my place!

For those of you attending, I am sure your going to have a great time, the weathers supposed to be nice all weekend, wish I could be there, this year... I do plan on making it out next year!

Have 70lb pig and a whole bunch of other food for this so if you can make it that would be great. AMVETS Post #2 Thru in some burgers and dogs to boot. Should be fun all together! See ya there in the morning!

We're Home!  It'll take some time to get the pics sorted out, hopefully everyone else will post up pics also.  I'll be doing a write up so stay tuned!

Just one word to get started......

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

We headed over to the Kanasket-Palmer State park on Thursday.  It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive in the motorhome and always a bit stressful. 
IMG_4662.JPG

I'm so glad we went a day early.  We were just getting set up and miacova stopped by to drop off some sauces and pepper jelly.
IMG_4664.JPG

The Portland contingent, with salsa by Pete and pepper cheese by Jared (chiles from Paul later~~)
IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

The FBI crew (From da Big Island catering) prepped up the pig on Friday night.  Check out Pele's cooking tool -lol-
IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

stuffed, seasoned, chilled, and wrapped for the night.  Time to tuck the piggy away-
IMG_4683.JPG

Friday night chillin' and grillin'  (OK it was a flat top, but you know what I mean)
IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

Bump, por favor!

These guys did the Big Island proud, For Sure! 

Hanging out Friday night, dinner, next post will be the Saturday Cook-

(edit- it looks like I need a bump~posts are melding)

Attachments

• IMG_4698.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4700.JPG
    IMG_4700.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4702.JPG
    IMG_4702.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4703.JPG
    IMG_4703.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4707.JPG
    IMG_4707.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4710.JPG
    IMG_4710.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4712.JPG
    IMG_4712.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4713.JPG
    IMG_4713.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4714.JPG
    IMG_4714.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4715.JPG
    IMG_4715.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 78
There were some last minute emergency/work situations for a few people.  Bummer for all, but there's always next year!

More Picnic pictures.  And as usual, I didn't get a picture of the plate, or everyone eating.  Too busy enjoying the wonderful food and conversations.
IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4755.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

Saturday evening around the campfire, and finally doing the pepper challenge.  Harold won, the rest of us wimped out at habaneros.
IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

Sunday morning started out a little rainy, but cleared out to be a beautiful warm day. 
Here's the dog, hiding in the RV-
IMG_4777.JPG

Breakfast-
Sausage gravy and Biscuits
Waffles
Bacon
grapes
eggs
Bloody Marys

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

Hawkeye had the TV set up to watch the game, and my Dad and brother came out to spend the day.
IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

PaulG showing off his pods-lol-
IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

We already have the sites picked out for next year.  Gonna snag some yurts.  Hopefully others will post some of their pics also. 
Until next time... :cheers:

Hi Ann, Glad you,John made it back home safely. Great pics of the event this weekend.  You sure took some great shots that captured the moment  I really like the one with Pele riding the scooter side car in goggles. I just saved it and will get it blown up to an xlarge portrait size I'll surprise him for xmas. It sure was a fun weekend! Cant wait for the next one!  

Aloha to you and your family.

Hawaiianero said:
Niiiiiiice!
:woohoo: Good to see Big Island represented up there. :woohoo:
Can't wait for more pics.
Howzit Brada! How you been? Dis weekend was off da hook bra. Maybe next year if you can would be cherry! Aloha brada

organic pepper said:
Howzit Brada! How you been? Dis weekend was off da hook bra. Maybe next year if you can would be cherry! Aloha brada
I would love to come up. the campsite looks cool with all the trees around. Kona side, all we have is kiawe trees and rocks, but the ocean makes up for it :P

Gotta say, that pig looks awesome. Your rig is the next best thing to having a imu. :drooling:
Glad to see you guys keeping Aloha Alive!!

I had the Best Time Yet!  and I think others feel the same.  I'm already looking forward to Next Year!  The weekend after Labor Day seems to be working, so it sounds like we'll keeep it at that time.  We will have to be On Point when the reservations open up (I think it's 9 months ahead of the reservation date) to snag the yurts.  We've kinda got some picked out, and I think I'll grab site 23 and 24 just for GP. 

The Tribute Sauce-
I'd been thinking about making something for the NWCF.  It's been a tough summer with the fires (again) and the loss of life of 3 firefighers up Twisp River.  One of the firefighters was a local boy, 3 years out of high school.  It really hit the community hard.  The idea to make a tribute sauce to honor firefighters had been on my mind, so when I was at the FM and saw some gorgeous orange bell peppers and some sweet Gypsy peppers, the idea came together.  I thought about what I wanted to do, chose the ingredients, cooked it up and did not keep track of anything.  Like life, it was a one shot deal, never to be repeated.

I did not get the label printed, but it was supposed to go something like this-

2015 Northwest Chilefest Tribute Sauce
To honor firefighters everywhere and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to protect others
~You Will Always Be Remembered~

Ingredients- bell peppers, gypsy peppers, cantalope, pears, onion, apple juice, vinegar, lemon juice, Fatalii peppers, salt, spices.
IMG_4622.JPG

That might not be the complete ingredients list, no notes and I can't remember.  Everyone who came to the event got at least 1 or 2 jars of the Tribute sauce.  I'm hoping to do something similar next year, different tribute. 

OH!  and even though John spent the whole weekend babysitting the sick dog, his suggestion is ....Bloody Marys EVERY morning!!!!  :lol:  Good Mix, PaulG!

I'm good with a Mimosa on Saturday morning though, or even a Budweiser with Pele~~~  :lol:  Kinda like our Bloody Sunday tradition.   (OK, not channeling U2....really...) 

All of the sauces we sampled and those that were reviewed went to new homes.  There were several commercial sauces (including Red Hawk and a local Friendly Fire)  I hope those who got the sauces will post up comments.  Expecially those who have the reviewed sauces.  I'll forward the comment sheets to the respective people.

I snagged Pete's fresh pico and that was my Monday morning breakfast, and on nachos for dinner.  :dance:

I am looking forward to next year, and yes I will have to stay on point for campground and yurt spots. Loved the Salsa, Salsalady gave me, what great flavor. I have not opened the Tribute sauce yet, but the Roasted garlic habanero sauce is just about gone. my better half is in love with that sauce and I think she's been drinking it straight out of the bottle... I know she's been using it on just about anything she can!

Back