• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone bringing in their plants from outdoors?

Hi all. I started moving my plants from outdoors to indoors this weekend just gone, because the night time temperatures is getting too close to single digits (30-ish deg F).

The ones I am trying to over-winter are:

Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw - at the moment it is more leaves than anything. It's a squat thing with LOTS of big leaves; inter-nodal distance is extremely short,
Datil - got seeds from PureFlorida who is based in St Augustine, Florida. I am just glad the plants are putting up with British weather!! No fruits this year, but hope next year the over-wintered plants will get a head start.
Yellow Congo - I had high hopes for these few, but so far it has only given me leaves.
And a few other Chinense plants.

I can't believe there's half a year ahead where my beloved chillies will have to be hidden away indoors!! :mope:

Roll on 2016 Spring!!! :dance:

I probably won't bring my reaper plant indoors, since only one pepper is currently growing and I don't even know if it'll ripen before it gets too cold. 

There's always next year, though :P

Let's see probably one chocolate moruga, two datil (out of five also from Pure Florida and loaded with pods), an orange bhut, took a cutting from my reaper and I may dig up this weird looking habanero that is producing pods that kinda look like scorpion pods.

I probably wont overwinter any plants this year. I'll keep the baha goats in the hydro for supply of peppers all winter and then I got the crossing project with seedlings starting now so they should be producing pods (hopefully) by the time my outdoor plants die of frost. That's being optimistic though as in this state winter could hit any time in the next month. 

Last years overwinter attempt ended in an aphid infestation that resulted in me tossing the plants out into the snow. 

Still good weather on the east coast, so not yet.  There is no point on overwintering Superchiles, but I'm going to take a few cuttings form my Aji Cereza plant.  It is my plan to to nurse them until next May.  I'll put them in medium sized pots and have enough time to prune them.  I want them tall, with many nodes, before they go into the ground.  My one Aji Cereza outside is doing OK, but as usual with this variety, it took too long (100 + days) to start to pod up.  I'm going to try and speed up the process by putting a more mature plant into the garden next year.  I'm also hoping that the much increased height will get the plant more sun.

I'm also going to overwinter my beloved  pimenta de neyde x bhut jolokia F7 and take many cuttings.

I'm gonna save two of my Sicmans Mystery F2's (one chocolate and one closest to og pheno). And a brown Brainstrain (perfect pheno) not from Judy's strain. The seeds came out of a red BS pod grown from Cappy's seeds by Nate6279. And a Cabai Burung Ungu that seems to ripen to orange rather than red, so far anyway. I've only gotten one ripe pod.

And the pubes will roll right thru winter outside.

Everyone's coming inside in about a month or so. Just have to get the pesticide ready and stuff, so I don't lose all but (let's see:reaper, chocolate scotch bonnet, brown moruga, brain strain, Brazilian ghost) five plants to aphids again. I don't like it, but it's going to be needed to avoid the absurdly long growing season for me.

just make sure you rinse the rootballs clean as possible and use fresh dirt, if giving them a trim toss in bucket or rubbermade tub with soapy water and some hydrogen peroxide. Let soak for a few mins and give a good rinse before transplanting. Should help reduce any chance of infestations. 

D3monic said:
just make sure you rinse the rootballs clean as possible and use fresh dirt, if giving them a trim toss in bucket or rubbermade tub with soapy water and some hydrogen peroxide. Let soak for a few mins and give a good rinse before transplanting. Should help reduce any chance of infestations. 

sage advice. I do the same thing but with sm-90.

One question, here in Spain night temps are starting to be between 68F and 50F. Is it too cold for the pods to keep growing and to rippen? Have noticed that one of them is getting a bit black and soft. Any ideas? To overwinter a pepper, can I cut the roots and the branches to half and put them in smaller pots with fresh soil?

AlvaroHD99 said:
One question, here in Spain night temps are starting to be between 68F and 50F. Is it too cold for the pods to keep growing and to rippen? Have noticed that one of them is getting a bit black and soft. Any ideas? To overwinter a pepper, can I cut the roots and the branches to half and put them in smaller pots with fresh soil?

I'd say those temps are fine. ripening will slow down with night temps in the 50's but still ripen. Below that I would call it, in the 40's they will slow to a stand still.
You have the right plan for overwintering but as D3 said above its good to dip the root ball (after the trimming) in a solution prior to new soil, to prevent bug larvae and bad bacteria. And have neem oil or other treatment ready for when the bugs appear, which is nearly inevitable. 

Happy growin'

Soon, I am still a few weeks away from bringing them in.

Chocolate Moruga, Yellow Ghost, Trinidad Scorpion, and Reapers are coming inside for the winter.  I picked up some LED lights too so I can hopefully extend their growing season a little once they are indoors.

-Alden

Back