Rairdog's Shanks on sale 1.27 $/lb

Well I got my first batch of Mead going today.

Went to the beer store and bought a brew kit, a chiller and a brew bag IPA

I already have an unused 8.75 gal turkey fryer

The woman brought these home.  They were 1.5 gal coffee SS dispenser in perfect shape(Zo's).  I figure they would be nice to for mead since they are not designed to hold pressure.

My fridge won't fit a Corny...bummer.  It did get down to 36f.  I could go with 3 gal kegs but that throws off the recipes. 

So now I need to either jump into kegs or bottles in the next few weeks.  They had complete keg system, filled Co2, Corny and picnic tap for 250.

I plan to build a screened mash tun.  I was going to make a chiller but at 50 bucks theirs was pretty cheap.  Wally has another turkey fryer for 25 buck half price. 

I looking for ideas to build a gravity system.  Do I need 2 burners?     

Rairdog said:
Well I got my first batch of Mead going today.

Went to the beer store and bought a brew kit, a chiller and a brew bag IPA

I already have an unused 8.75 gal turkey fryer

The woman brought these home.  They were 1.5 gal coffee SS dispenser in perfect shape(Zo's).  I figure they would be nice to for mead since they are not designed to hold pressure.

My fridge won't fit a Corny...bummer.  It did get down to 36f.  I could go with 3 gal kegs but that throws off the recipes. 

So now I need to either jump into kegs or bottles in the next few weeks.  They had complete keg system, filled Co2, Corny and picnic tap for 250.

I plan to build a screened mash tun.  I was going to make a chiller but at 50 bucks theirs was pretty cheap.  Wally has another turkey fryer for 25 buck half price. 

I looking for ideas to build a gravity system.  Do I need 2 burners?     

You don't need two burners if you are using a cooler-based mash tun, no ...

You'll heat up a batch of water, pour it into the cooler w/ the grains, and then heat up more water while they're mashing to sparge with ...

You'll run off the hot liquor (sugar water and enzymes) from the cooler into the kettle to boil, and then rinse the grains using the 2nd batch of heated water to sparge the rest of the sugars etc ...

Then you'll boil the collected hot liquor and add hops ...

Then you'll chill it down, and pitch yeast ...

I suggest checking out a book or 2. There are so many different directions you can go. Bottling is definitely cheaper, but a little more work and time. I don't have a kegging system yet, but definitely plan to. A burner system is definitely convenient too, but I would go on a crazy spending spree just yet.
The mash tun is certainly a good place to start though.

Ozzy2001 said:
I suggest checking out a book or 2. There are so many different directions you can go. Bottling is definitely cheaper, but a little more work and time. I don't have a kegging system yet, but definitely plan to. A burner system is definitely convenient too, but I would go on a crazy spending spree just yet.
The mash tun is certainly a good place to start though.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Thanks 1010, Oz and GM....already got Johns page book marked.  I have extra coolers so I was thinking of a mash tun with the braided hose.  Then run a spiral wire inside the braid to keep it from collapsing.  The bazookas look like they would channel too much.  It seem the square coolers are better for stirring.

Walmart has the 30 qt turkey fryer for 25 bucks at half price.  That would give me a second burner and I need another pot anyway.   Then it's time for some corny's.  Is 5# Co2 enough for more than 1 keg or do I need 10#?  

Rairdog said:
Thanks 1010, Oz and GM....already got Johns page book marked.  I have extra coolers so I was thinking of a mash tun with the braided hose.  Then run a spiral wire inside the braid to keep it from collapsing.  The bazookas look like they would channel too much.  It seem the square coolers are better for stirring.

Walmart has the 30 qt turkey fryer for 25 bucks at half price.  That would give me a second burner and I need another pot anyway.   Then it's time for some corny's.  Is 5# Co2 enough for more than 1 keg or do I need 10#?  

I agree w/ your decision towards kegging over bottling and defer to the others on all matters related to cooler-conversion etc ...
These are well-regarded, I believe:
http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/shop/custom-construction/

grantmichaels said:

I agree w/ your decision towards kegging over bottling and defer to the others on all matters related to cooler-conversion etc ...

These are well-regarded, I believe:
http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/shop/custom-construction/

I haven't seen that design.  Looks like it would drain well.

Here is the first brew  PDG Pale

5.0 lbs. Light dried malt extract (CBW pilsen light)

Steeping bag grains
0.38 lb. Munich malt, crushed
0.38 lb.White Wheat malt, crushed
0.38 lb. Crystal 20L malt, crushed
0.25 lb. Carapils malt, crushed
0.13 lb. Aromatic malt, crushed

60 Minute Boil
0.50 oz. Centennial hops, added 45 min from the end of the boil
0.50 oz. Simcoe hops, added 30 min from the end of the boil 
0.50 oz. Warrior hops, added 15 min from the end of the boil
1.00 oz. Cascade hops, added 5 min from the end of the boil

YEAST : Wyeast #1332

If I start it I got 2 weeks to get a keg system...

I think if I were starting over, given the cost of kegs etc, I'd probably setup around refurbished pin-lock corny's ...

You can get them SOOOOO much cheaper ...

And, honestly, I think I've seen that the new, AMCYL kegs that I've purchased might be (from India and of) inferior quality to authentic Italian one's that are older/used ...

Get w/ Wheebz on it, but I think a herd of pin lock's might be the best value ...

And if you do, check out Adventures in Homebrewing prices on the used kegs ...

http://www.homebrewing.org/FOUR-3-Gallon-Cornelius-Style-Pin-Lock-Used-Kegs-_p_4673.html

RedNeck Spysee Chilez said:
The only advice I'd throw your way is watch those glass carboys. They can get slick and it doesn't take a lot to bust em (personal experience). Best of luck in your brewing adventures. Cheerz

Could not agree more.

I moved away from them and just started fermenting in kegs.

Not the best shape for the yeasties, I figure, but otherswise they're a treat to deal w/ relatively speaking ...

grantmichaels said:

Could not agree more.
I moved away from them and just started fermenting in kegs.

Not the best shape for the yeasties, I figure, but otherswise they're a treat to deal w/ relatively speaking ...

Yeah, those glass ones are purdy to watch the yeasties do their thing but I'd highly recommend plastic carboys or plastic fermenting buckets. Once one of those glass bad boys shatters you tend to mumble (or scream) *^%$^*))I&^#$#@  ..... :doh:  I shoulda .......

This site might help you save a bit in the coming months ;)

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2015/09/ends-soon-draft-gear-sale-at-morebeer.html

FWIW, I like MoreBeer more than Northern/Midwest for online brew-related hardware, personally.

Kegging
My beer store has been pretty reasonable.  I can get a complete 5 gal pin lock, Co2 (filled),  TAPRITE reg, and picknick  for 250. 

Morebeer is 219 with (unfilled) Co2.  I can't tell if it's a Taprite reg.  So far I haven't been able to find a better deal unless I go with and off brand regulator.  I want 2 kegs to start.

http://www.morebeer.com/products/homebrew-draft-system-pin-lock-keg.html

Grinding
I'm still learning here.  It looks like I can save 10 bucks per kit from my beer store for AG.  You can probably save even more buying in bulk.  I'm researching the roller mills now.  I have lots of parts, motors, pulleys etc..to motorize it.

Yeast bank
Next on the research list.  Any pointer's here or links would be appreciated. 

Basically I would like to stock up on ingredients for winter with a couple beers like IPA and Hefe.  I'm going for 2-5gal varieties per month for 3 or 4 months.

Grinding. I bought a corona mill from Walmart. Only $26. I have to put a different pin in the handle so I can attach my drill to it yet but that's easy. It does a great job and I've easily gone above 70% eff using it.

Yeast. You'll just have to order it if you don't have a brew shop close that carries it. There are a couple shops within 45mins of me that I can get them at. Although I just ordered one online yesterday. Keep in mind though, tht when it's hot outside that could ruin the yeast. I believe GM dealt with some cooked yeast. Once you have a strain you like or think you'll use again, you can wash it and store it in your fridge. They are good for 3-6mos and can last up to a year.

Ozzy2001 said:
Grinding. I bought a corona mill from Walmart. Only $26. I have to put a different pin in the handle so I can attach my drill to it yet but that's easy. It does a great job and I've easily gone above 70% eff using it.

Yeast. You'll just have to order it if you don't have a brew shop close that carries it. There are a couple shops within 45mins of me that I can get them at. Although I just ordered one online yesterday. Keep in mind though, tht when it's hot outside that could ruin the yeast. I believe GM dealt with some cooked yeast. Once you have a strain you like or think you'll use again, you can wash it and store it in your fridge. They are good for 3-6mos and can last up to a year.

Let me know how the Corona works out for you.  I was leaning towards a diy motorized roller just cause I have the parts and like to tinker.  I was hoping to find an attachment to fit one of my meat grinders but it looks like kitchenaid is the only one. 

My brew shop is about 30 min and carries a lot of yeast, grains and hops.   They sell beer kits of either extract or AG in the same flavor.  Some are up to 14 bucks cheaper for all AG.  I have the Wyeast 1332 for the first pale ale.  I see a lot of the other kits call for the same yeast for PA.  Then I figured to get a Wyeast for Hefe and reuse.  Those will be my main goto's that I can play with the grains and hops.  I'm not into lagers, dark or fruity.  I might try some ambers down the road.  

I'm also considering BIAB to keep at 1 burner/pot and easy cleanup.  Then decide if I want to add a mash tun and boil pot/second burner.  I can't find anything bad to say about BIAB except it's non traditional.

I'm still a little confused on recirculating wort back through the mash or running a second batch of water through mash.    

The corona milk works great for me. The IPA I did had over 16lbs of grain so my arm got tired; hence why I need to go get the bolt for my drill. If you have parts to make a mill I'd say go for it. I may eventually make one as well.

That 1332 is the yeast I just ordered to make a clone of Anderson Valleys Oatmeal stout. Sounds like it's pretty versatile.
I haven't done a BIAB yet. GM is the man for that. I've only done extract and AG using a mash tun.

Another cool site is homebrewrtalk. It's a forum and has a lot of categories from recipies to DIY gadgets.

Back