• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Need Help w/I.D (Reaper or Moruga?)

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hello all and I looking for some investigative help. I have recently grown two pepper plants that I am not sure of their identity; but first the back story. I bought some Carolina Reapers seeds from Puckerbutt Seed company and some Trinidad Moruga seeds from Robs Rare and Giant Seeds.com. I tried to germinate them in a moist paper towel in a zip lock bag  for about 3 weeks. After three weeks, they didn't sprout tails, so I decided to plant the seeds in the soil of my existing two potted pepper plants (a Bhut Jolokia and Butch "T" Trinidad Scorpion pepper plant).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I left for work for about three weeks and when I returned, each potted plant had a seedling pepper plant sprouted in it. The thing is, I forgot which pot I put each of the seeds in (all Trindad Moruga's in one, and Carolina Reapers in the other). I figured I would be able to tell what the plants were when they sprouted peppers. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Well here we are and the plants are three months old and fully grown (about a meter tall each) with peppers sprouted and growing. The only thing is neither of the plants peppers, really look like the Trinidad Moruga or the Carolina Reaper. Now, I have read on forums that the Carolina Reaper Seeds are an unstable strand, but not sure about the Trinidad Moruga's. I have also heard that sometimes the seed company's mix up seeds when they package them for sale. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]If anyone can help identify these peppers/plants, or throw out some ideas of what they might be, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the replies in advance.[/SIZE]

Thanks for Looking and if you have problems seeing the pictures let me know, and I will try to repost the links. 

Hey Moruga Welder, thanks for the reply. The are actually both in red containers. I have loaded the pictures in full size and named them plant A & B. Plant A has the light green peppers growing and plant B has the darker ones growing. 

PLANT A 

PLANT B 

I will also try and take better pictures of more of the plant detail, and post them tomorrow. 

Where did you get your seeds. From what I have seen of your pictures. the peppers look nothing like either morugas or reapers and look more like habaneros. Understand this is based only on what I have seen as limited as that may be.

Are you sure the seeds you purchased were Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and not Trinidad Scorpion, Moruga Red, or other names which might have gotten confused.  I agree with other comments that these do not look like Carolina Reaper or Moruga Scorpion, but i have seen the term Trinidad Scorpion reference peppers that do not have the shoulder and tail.  Also, the Moruga Red kind of looks like that when it is young.

See if you can find the receipt and I'll bet you find the answer.  On the other hand, I get confused all the time so maybe I just suspect it first.

Yah its weird, because those are the only two seeds I put in the pots with my other plants. I have though of the idea that neither of the Trinidad Moruga or Carolina reaper seeds actually sprouted, and the may have been seeds from peppers that fell off of the plants in the pots. But both of the plants in each of the pots are Bhut Jolokias and Butch "T" Trinidad Scorpions, with the exact features they are suppose to have. 

I bought the Trinidad Morugas from Robs Rare and Giant Seeds and the Carolina Reapers from Puckerbutt (the source of the Reaper). And neither one of them turned into the plants they are suppose to be. Any ideas on what they might be???????

Reapers were stable before release to public. There are always variables than can affect appearances but generally there will be some indication of positive ID maybe in latter pods. Have you eaten one of either peppers? There will definitely be a huge difference in heat profiles of the moruga or reaper vs an habanero. It will be clear very quickly as to whether you are growing super hot peppers or wannabes. reapers are unmistakable in that their sweetness is distinct and right up front just before the intense fire consumes your mouth.

Alternatively, do you have any practical joker friends? Sounds like maybe someone has your reapers and morugas growing somewhere else and replaced your pots with pots and habanero seeds.

Haha, no, none of my friends grow pepper plants.

The pods haven't ripped yet, probably in another few weeks a couple should start turning colors. I will definitely know the difference once I bit into them, especially since I grow the Butch "T's" and Bhut's and have a reference off those super hots. 

(My)Bhut Jolokia
[url=https://imageshack.com/i/p5YGLYMgj][/URL]
(My) Butch T Trinidad Scorpion
[url=https://imageshack.com/i/p5ouqdggj][/URL]

Its just weird that they are two different colored pods. One is very light green and the other is the "normal" darker green. Are habenero's normally a light green or the darker (I have never grown habanero's)? 

CAPCOM said:
Reapers were stable before release to public. There are always variables than can affect appearances but generally there will be some indication of positive ID maybe in latter pods. Have you eaten one of either peppers? There will definitely be a huge difference in heat profiles of the moruga or reaper vs an habanero. It will be clear very quickly as to whether you are growing super hot peppers or wannabes. reapers are unmistakable in that their sweetness is distinct and right up front just before the intense fire consumes your mouth.

Alternatively, do you have any practical joker friends? Sounds like maybe someone has your reapers and morugas growing somewhere else and replaced your pots with pots and habanero seeds.
that would be cruel !     :rofl:

Butch Ts look as they should yet do you see the variance in the pic of a few pods? The bhut on the other hand looks peculiar in texture. If it were a white bhut I would say looks normal but a red usually looks much different.

I was taking another look at your moruga/ reaper pics and will add that the lower pics look very much like some form of nagas.

Yah the majority of the Butch T's look like the one in the picture, a small percentage tend throw a funny shape once and awhile. As far as the "Bhut" they tend to all be that smooth texture. I noticed that a lot of the pictures I have seen of the other Bhut's Jolokias tend to be the "Bumpy" texture. Don't tell me I have been "Had" a third time?!?!?!?!??! Lol. Those plants are 2 years old too! I stated them in the house in September of 2013. 

Here is another picture of my "Bhut Jolokia" 

Well this is the way you definitely learn to buy from reputable seed companies. Hahahahaha, but I did by the Carolina Reapers from Pucker Butts, but I don't think those ever sprouted in the soil. I still have another package left, that I am going to try next year. Plus I bought some Carolina Reapers BSR's from the Hippy Seed Company, that I will also attempt to grow next year.   

How did you set up to germinate the reapers and morugas?  how long did it take under those conditions and what was the germination success rate?

Also, dont write the bhuts off yet. Taste will tell. you could have a phenol that produce smooth textured skin.

Well the seeds didn't germinate after three weeks of being in a wet/moist paper towel and zip lock bag. I know they can take long/longer, but instead of keeping an eye on them to ensure they were moist, I decided to just plant them in the soil of my pre-existing pepper plant pots. That's when they sprouted after a couple of weeks and I transplanted them to their own pots. 

As far as the Bhut Jolokia, that plant is two years old (the Butch T as well) and I have ate them, cooked them, made hot sauce, and hot pickles. They are hot as Hades, but then again all the super hots are. Its hard for me to determine the level of heat they put off, say compared to the Butch T's. The only thing that is distinct from the two (Bhut's and Butch T's) is taste. Butch T's have more of a fruity/citrus taste, than that of the Bhut IMHO. 

I would let them grow and enjoy them for what you get out of them and try for morugas and reapers again next year. One tip in germination super hots is temperature. You want to maintain 85o-90o along with your moisture content. Even with ideal conditions I have seen them take 2 weeks or more.

Oh I will, I like all the variety's of chili's. I figured they weren't the reapers or moruga's but just didn't know what they were. I will take the couple of peppers they produce at the end of the year here, and over winter them with my other two plants. Next summer I will let them flourish and also try to start the reapers again. Thanks for the help identifying and advice CAPCOM. 

Back