• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hummus

Been a long time since I made any and I love sauces/dips etc :)
So here goes.
Soak Chick peas for 6 hours and PC them for 25min (see info on web for non pc cooking instructions)( if you soak beans for longer then they start to ferment and add to the digestive issues, most 8 hours depending bean size).
I usually blitz everything once the PC has cooled but I forgot and didn't remember till I was in Bed, so I jarred them and put in fridge for today.
Add chickpeas to blender for about 1/3 capacity and add other ingredients, blits, then work in the rest of the peas.
Store 24 hours to marry the ingredients.

2L chickpeas and liquor from cook
2 Lemons squeezed came out to exactly 1/2 cup
Apple cider Vinegar equal to lemon, 1/2 cup
Hemp oil 1 cup ( or Olive)
3tbls Falafel spice mix ( got mine from an middle eastern store, not packaged stuff)
1tbls Trurmeric
1tbls Smoked paprica
1tbls Seasoning salt
Garlic to taste
2 Jamaican yellow Peppers
salt to taste
Honey to balance out acid in case Chick peas not sweet.
1/2 dried parsley at end.

P9294025_HummusIngredients-1000_zpszo8xmkuw.jpg

P9294026_Hummus-1000_zpsksw0tlvh.jpg

Daaaaaayuuum!!
I joined this forum a year ago to learn more about growing and processing peppers.
I had no idea then that I would also be learning how to make this kind of awesomeness.
I'm sitting here drooling all over my keyboard while trying to memorize this recipe and to see what I can do to add my own touches.
Yeah, I'mma gon do this :drooling: :fireball:

This looks amazing and I'm emailing it to myself to shop for the ingredients sooner than later ...

Is falafel spice mix similar to garam masala?

I made some Chickpea Dip last week.  I usually wing it with chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, cardamon, cumin, turmeric, garlic, various pepper powders and herbs.  I will have to try some vinegar and honey next batch.  I will try some coriander also.  I added a package of cream cheese this last batch which was very good as a veggie dip.  I never make it traditionally because Tahini is so expensive.  

I don't think nutmeg and cinnamon would fit my taste buds.  I never much liked garam masla anyway.  It reminds me of chinese 5 spice.   

DF, I'm curious as to why you use the falafel mix?  Is it just for the spices like cumin, coriander and such in the mix or am I missing something?

I bought it to try it out, it was fresh so I knew it was good quality and it saved me from grinding up Cumin lol Also have been wanting to make falafels but still have not (successfully) a learned a while ago that you have to use raw soaked chickpeas not cooked or they fall apart, so haven't tried that yet, normally Fava beans are used and I haven't gotten any of those, they have become rare in the stores for some reason :(
:)

Ive seen the ones that mix oil with it and I did buy some roasted Sesame seeds. Wanted to get the pure stuff that Krinos makes but seams like their not being stocked anymore. In the meantime Il try the oil mix version, need to make mayo as well so do it at the same time and report back :)
Thanks!!!

Looks like today turned out to be a cooking day.

Took the leftover Pumpkin mash and added the chickpeas I cooked today, then the leftover of that I added Feta Cheese and a whole Red onion and Half bulb Garlic. Used my home made ACV, nice and strong and Olive oil.

cyrTLuS.jpg

Did another batch , was in the moon.

1 quart cooked chickpeas
Olive oil
Lemon juice
acv
Apache peppers
Oregano
Basil
Garlic/Ginger paste home made.

made 2 quarts
stG5PHT.jpg

5qaby2f.jpg

The price of tahini here has kept me from making hummus for awhile, maybe I'll just try without it. Ya know what might make a good cheap substitute: brown roux. Just white flour cooked in oil until it browns up and tastes very nutty. I discovered it recently and keep adding it to different things, it usually turns out tasty.

chick peas are cheap, something wrong if their expensive. Might have to look on line for the tahini, no substitute their except get sesame seeds and grind your own. The 900g jar I get is about $7, lasts a long time, and I wait till its on sale.

I'm just kidding mostly. I did recently write down a bunch of food prices from stores around town before stocking up, and realized that chickpeas are the most expensive dry "bean" available. $3.59/lb at one store, and the discount place sells 25lbs of pintos for $15. That's some cheap protein.

Back