• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My hot sauce is literaly explosive!

This evening I wanted to add some spice to a bowl of chili and I ended up with an experience I've never had before.
I opened a bottle of home made sauce that exploded like a champagne bottle, sending sauce out in a splatter pattern!

The bottle was one of those kinds with the flip top canning seals so it was air tight. The sauce was pretty simple stuff pepper mash, garlic, onion, and agave nectar... but no vinegar.

Other than the fun of sharing, I post to ask, does that mean that my sauce was fermenting? Was it turning to some alcoholic death sauce?

I boiled it for half an hour then simmered for an hour or so. I generaly do that to try and soften the seeds and allow it to break up a little better.

From what's been posted...Pitch It!

Some vegetables have been cooked and put into the bottle.  The bottle was not pressure canned, the vegetables are low acid, no additional acid was included.  The bottle/jar went PFFFT when opened.....which indicates the veggies are going bad....

I rememeber stories of my Grandmother processing green beans in pint jars and boiling them for 4 hours.  Proper canning is a combination of time and temp.  Slightly lower temp for a whole lot longer equals a higher temp (like what can be achieved through pressure canning) for a shorter time (like 20-30 minutes).  Way back-in-the-day I did some green beans in a boiling water bath, stuck 'em in the closet and a few weeks later they were foaming up and popping tops.  PITCH!!

This is not a good scenario.  It looks like a perfect storm for butulism.  Low acid vegetables (chiles, onion, garlic, most vegetables) have to be pressure canned or be properly fermented or be pickled with vinegar(or other acids).   Just cooking the vegetables with no additional preservative of fermentation, acid or pressure canning is not enough.

An acquaintance gave me a bottle of his homemade habanero salsa. 
I had it in my fridge for a few weeks and when I opened it to use for tacos or something, it was sizzling like sulfuric battery acid on metal.  I pitched it, too.
I was thankful that I didn't wait any longer to try to use it, otherwise the ball mason jar may have exploded and coated the inside of my refrigerator.

Catfishnut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

It says that agave has slightly more fructose than high fructose corn syrup, and that it by far lacks the glucose to match it. It turns out that having equal parts glucose to fructose helps with absorbing the fructose. I saw someone buy a small bottle of agave syrup at a health food store and told him about it, but he didn't want to know. It was hard to believe how much that thing cost, too.

Back