• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fatalii pineapple mango questions

I have never tried making a sauce before, but I just ordered some fatalii peppers to make the following sauce:
  • 4 Fatalii chili peppers, coarsely chopped
  • 1 mango, peeled and coarsely chopped (aobut 1 cup)
  • 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • Salt to taste
I was wondering what you guys think about the vinegar. I was thinking that maybe substituting lemon juice instead may taste better, but I really have no clue. I also don't have a ph meter, so I am really kind of lost and looking for general suggestions overall.

Vinegar is fine, but with that mix I'd go with white wine vinegar instead.  I find it a bit more mild in flavor so the other ingredients shine through.   But thats just me.  Also with that much fruit, you might hold off on adding any sugar until after you cook the sauce down a bit.  It might be sweet enough.  Fataliis have a great natural flavor along with their heat, but with only 4 peppers and that much fruit, you'll washout the fatalii flavor, and just get the heat.  Not that that is bad, but just an FYI

I'm not a fan of white sugar I'd taste and use honey to attain the sweetness your looking for. Honey works fantastic with fruit based sauces.
But as turbo mentioned wait till final processing!! :)

Back