• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Urgent Help! One Day Left To Preserve My Ghost Peppers!

I have been SOOOO busy trying to harvest and preserve my personal crop of every veggie I grow before I leave on a 2 month trip.  I don't have time to ferment the peppers.

I have a couple of pounds of hot peppers, about half of them being ghost peppers, and I need to do SOMETHING with them tomorrow before I hop on a plane!

Should I just pop them all into my cuisinart to chop them to pieces and add some vinegar and stick in the fridge until I get back?  I know I can freeze them whole but then fermenting is out of the question, right?

I have already sliced a few and added to a bowl of kosher salt to flavor the salt and dehydrate the peppers but can't use all the peppers that way.

I have my dehydrator filled with cayenne peppers that I hope will be dry by tomorrow night.

Please send ideas fast as I will be leaving in less than 48 hours.

Thanks!

I have heard that they won't ferment if frozen for a long period of time?  

I know I can freeze them whole but would prefer to make something that I can keep around for a while.  Maybe just make a hot sauce with vinegar and freeze the sauce?

freeze.... then figure out what you want to do. 

If no room in the freezer and if you have a bit of time....puree....

Specifically... AJ's puree recipe which is chiles, a bit of vinegar, agave, and salt....boiling water bath...

ps- the puree recipe can be done with frozen chiles.......;)

pdxwindjammer said:
Thanks!  I will freeze them!  Along with the blackberries, plums, tomatoes and figs that are cramming my freezer to the brim!  :)
DUDE!  You have the start of a couple awesome sauces right there!!!

PS- I know your crushed for time, but the pods really need to be at least rinsed before freezing.  They can be trimmed later, but if there is time, trim 'em up now.  No issues with freezing cut pods as long as they are not left in the freezer for a year and get freezer burn.  :shrug:

Another thing is- if you have a vac-sealer, seal the pods in the vac-bags then freeze.  Less chance of freezer burn.

Have Fun!

Back