gadgets Pit (smoker) thermometers

Take the time to figure out the size of your hole before buying a thermometer thinking they are universal sized, like I did.
I have a Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, which was bought out by Char-Broil some time ago (I believe mine is char-broil era). So I bought a Char-Broil brand thermometer (fits most pits, it says). Turns out its 13/16" and my hole is 3/4" Not compatible, DAMMIT!
So take the time and due diligence. Or have to drive back to the homehell store to return that shit.

Phil said:
I had to cut my own holes to install grate level thermometers. A step bit made for steel does a good job. Slow and steady wins the race when cutting the holes.

Yea I actually thought about that since its the better place for a thermometer. Other than extending the smoke stack to grate level, I'd like to keep it kinda stock, though.

Phil said:
Slow and steady wins the race when cutting the holes.

Especially this.

I'll add that it's really good to pre-drill with a smaller bit with more subtle graduations, especially if it amounts to being able to easily create the pilot for the first segment of the actual bit ...

hogleg said:
Other than extending the smoke stack to grate level, I'd like to keep it kinda stock, though.

This is a BS mod, that the grate level stack pulls smoke across the food, and if you keep it stock it stays at the top. The chamber fills with smoke, it does not make a beeline for the chimney and miss the food. 

The Hot Pepper said:

This is a BS mod, that the grate level stack pulls smoke across the food, and if you keep it stock it stays at the top. The chamber fills with smoke, it does not make a beeline for the chimney and miss the food. 

I thought it was to hold heat more even rather than spread smoke? I haven't done it yet so enlighten me if its a waste of time.

Heat's always going to rise, no matter where you put the chimney. The trick is to get consistent temperatures at grate level. I do it by using water pans as baffles near the fire box. It forces the heat toward the center of the smoking chamber instead of shooting vertical as soon as it hits the open area

I installed baffles along the bottom of my pit smoker from the fire box opening with wedges cut out along the perimeter to help distribute smoke and heat making for more consistent temps thru out the grill. Chimney is to create a natural convection inside the cooker chimney placement affects that airflow by creating positive pressure in the grill.

Modern cookers used in comps have fans two create this effect that's why some of the more expensive models don't have chimneys. They are used to keep the environment inside the cooker more even less hot spots.
That's why you should only open cooker when absolutely necessary. :) Just my 2

I'm aware I've said it before, I also used to soak chips which is also BS.

If you're going to go digging into old posts there's a lot I've learned since then in more areas than just smoking as well. I used to believe in that mod until I proved it wrong with experience. 

PS. Did you do it? ;)

Good!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha I was talking out my asssss. No really some of these mods are like wives' tales. Like cast iron myths that get passed on. 

Since it's BBQ let's call the husbands' tales. 

Wives tails
a78649550b45d48cb925104f5fdbaf08.jpg

1/4" steel construction should do the trick. I've been looking at the Langs, Klose, Yoders, Gator Pits, Horizons..... and I think I'm going to go for the Old Country All-American Brazos smoker. It's not reverse flow, but it's the only one that builds their smokers with the stack at grate level, and I'm going to order the Gator Pit tuning plate to go  with it. Between that and the Bradley smoker I just put back into commission, I  should be able to do everything I want to do.

Back