• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chocolate Bhutlah Drama

I guess drama always finds its way even if it's about a dang chile pepper. If Steven really cared about preserving the strain until it was stable then he shouldn't have sent it out to the biggest reviewers on youtube. How can he be surprised that people are claiming they have the real deal to make a quick buck? it is a lesson that he's learning the hard way. Honestly the day the true seeds are available i will probably pass just because of all the BS. ;)  :cool:

There is a lot more drama than that. A man was explaining on Facebook that he had sent Steven some peppers and Steven found an unusual one, and he grew out some seeds. He claims that Steven is lying about the cross, and nobody knows what made his Bhutlah. There are others who know the story and claim Steven made his whole story up just to try and become famous. I don't know any of these people, so I can't say what is the real truth, but if these people are telling the truth, then it would ruin any credibility he has. The drama you mention is just the tip of the iceberg.

Frog Dog, begs the question what are the "true seeds".  I bought some as 7 Pot Douglah X Bhut Jolokia before I ever heard of a third pepper cross.  Its what I do, see something new, buy it, grow it, see if I like it.  $10.00 here and there does add up, but I love to grow and double love to grow things I have not in the past.

Cycadjungle, a quick thought on what you shared makes me discount the story.  Here is why.  StandandFire has been fairly out about how the pepper is not stable.  I believe he hooked up with Mr. Curry from Puckerbutt because the pepper could be grown and stabilized faster with the resources of the Puckerbutt Pepper Company.  Now how on earth could person A send an unstable pepper to person B and then recognize the pepper after person B starts growing the thing out?  Hell, I don't recognize peppers I have grown when people post pictures taken with good cameras. I do not discount someone -thinking- that is what happened. I just can't see a person being sure short of some sort of dna testing. 

You know, we should have a pepper reality TV show... And so the Pepper Turns

cycadjungle, i was aware that the situation is quite complicated but at this point don't know who's telling the truth. From my understanding Chad soleski is the one who created the Bhutlah and gave Steven seeds to help grow and stabilize the strain. One of Steven's Bhutlah plants threw chocolate pods thus becoming the almighty Chocolate Bhuuuuuutlaaaaaaahhhhh!!! :rofl:so anyway.....i still think that Chad should be recognized as the creator because his cross threw an off phenotype brown pod that Steven wouldn't have grown if it weren't for Chad. So is Steven claiming he crossed Chad's Bhutlah again to get the choco bhutlah or was it really just a variant? 

Frog Dog, I am not taking sides.  Just sort of a philosophical inquiry to what you said.  Mr. Butch Taylor observed, isolated, and grew out a natural variant or accidental cross of Trinidad Scorpion.  BTW: I lean towards natural variant because some of my trinidad scorpions look mighty close.  I think it was the folk at Hippie Seed company that named the thing after Mr. Taylor.  Obviously they felt that noticing a natural variant and growing it out deserved recognition. 

I tend to think both Mr. McLaurin and Mr. Soleski are speaking honestly due to what occurred in the UK before the term Chocolate Bhutlah was ever popular in the United States.  There, someone crossed 7 Pot Douglah X Bhut Jolokia and came up with a red pepper.  Lets call that the Red Bhutlah.  While being grown out, some of the seeds produced plants that threw chocolate pods.  It was named the Chocolate Bhutlah.  Seeds made their way into the hands of various chili heads.  Then one of the folk who created that pepper learned the name was being used in the US.  He started calling his creation the Brown Bhutlah.  I -think- that is how Brown Bhutlah SLP came into being.

So from the UK information, we can be fairly sure 7 Pot Douglah X Bhut Jolokia produces a red pepper but that the offspring of that pepper can be brown.  That would fit with Mr. Soleski's reported position.  Thing is, compare Brown Bhutlah SLP (formerly Chocolate Bhutlah) to the Chocolate Bhutlah reportedly developed by Mr. McLaurin.

The two peppers have a distinctly different appearance.  The UK version has more of a Jolokia slender shape and the US version has more of the Douglah fat shape.  Sure, the gene pool of both Douglah and Jolokia is wide enough to produce different results depending on the specific dna that was crossed.  But it is also a great reason to think a third pepper was involved.  It also lets me think fondly of both Mr. McLaurin and Mr. Soleski.

There were a few people talking about this. Richard Hickey is one of the people. Here is a post he had sent as part of a long thread:
Richard Hickey
April 28, 2014
Jack Superhot
December 1, 2013
Just a footnote to share with you all.
A couple of weeks ago I learn from Steven that the Choc Bhutlah is in fact a mutation of something that I sent him the previous year. What do you know about that? I feel good about having a hand in something real special. I do appreciate his honesty and willingness to share this with me. I grew about 50 crosses that year and god only knows what it was I sent him.
Has anybody heard anything from Chad? I know that what he is going through is life changing.

Bill Mayo was also in the conversation:
Bill Mayo
Martin Please see the screen shot above from Jack that should answer anyone's questions it took Steven almost 5 months to admit to Jack that the seeds came from a pod Jack had sent him and Jack had No idea what it had crossed with. So what did they run a DNA test on it ?
Butch Taylor was also in the conversation, and even though not relevant to this, it is also interesting that Butch could have also been known to have had a bhutlah, but he kept it quiet.

I had a few of the original "Bhutlah" seeds before they were called "Bhutlah" & a chocolate version did appear in my growout as well, but since I was asked to not let out the Bhutlah, i just kept it quite.

This is just part of the drama about the pepper Steven originally told people he had made, before he admitted that the pepper came from someone else's breeding. Then there is the UK form, and also the one that Judy says she made. These all appear to be a bit different and I would love to try all of them. Steven may have been the first person to give the name, but apparently, there are others who also had the same basic pepper that were told not to make their peppers public knowledge. All kinds of things going on. It's fun to sit back and watch all these people talk about the pepper. I would love to try all three. I am growing Judy's, AJ, you have the UK version, and I would like to try one of this third type someday. Tom

I am growing the Bhut x Douglah next year.   I try and stay out of the drama, I just like trying new varieties.  When the other aforementioned cross is finally released I will acquire and grow it also. 

Tom, oh where to start?  This topic has so much philosophy mixed in with other things that it is very confusing.  I -think- my chocolate bhutlah seed might be pre brown bhutlah SLP but can not be sure my seed saving took the same path.  I would not feel right calling it SLP becaue my seed stock predated the name change.  It is more bhutt looking than douglah while the one folk are talking about in the US seems more douglah than bhutt.,  Send me a PM and I will send you some seeds.  If you reply in kind, I will document your source and next year offer Chocolate Bhutlah I and Chocolate Bhutlah II, documenting each.  I would love to be the first asshole to point out the many incarnations of the term Chocolate Bhutlah.  Nothing against anyone in this topic, not taking sides, just want to be open about what is what.
A
Buzzman, right the fuck on.  This whole New Pepper World Order is getting on my nerves.  New is fun.  All this frigging next hottest pepper in the world is seriously robbing our slack, killing our buzz.  Lets just grow, have fun, and leave this insantity for the lotto player.

bunch of wankers in the chile industry. Once money is involved it's game over. Why would Steven even care about all the bullshit vendors if he isn't in it for the money?He said he isn't planning on selling seeds once stabilized. Is it for the fame? i don't know but if i ever create a crazy strain....you'll know about it when it's stable.

Back